GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seeking help: Air Conditioner issue

As an update I fixed the cooling leak on the A/C with another mechanic.

I replaced just the valve stem($5.00) on the a/c low side. They seem to fail on this model for some reason. After that I did one of these:

http://www.id-usa.com/product.asp?CID=31&PID=105
    $10.00

and then one of these:

http://www.id-usa.com/product.asp?CID=28&PID=217
    $40.00

Now I have no leaks. Ain't that a kicker.

Seems to not want to cool as much at idle so I think I'll be replacing the auxillary fan resistor shortly. Thanks for the help fellas.

Your repair went from $1800 down to $45? **** man, you lucked out. I just might have to save this thread and give those products a shot to fix my leaks.

Present: Black 1995 525i | Past: Red 1989 535i; Black 1985 535i

Yea, I was impressed. I also half-expected it. O-Rings get worn and valve stems go bad typically. But the rest is running fine. The compressor, and the lot. I should have replaced the drier while I was doing this though. Maybe next time.

So, I don't know if my BMW mechanic was trying to rip me off or if he was just being thorough.. get it.. thorough.. heh.. anyway.. I brought it to a christian mechanic and he just went one step at a time and so now it works for 60 bucks and his labor. A lifesaver to be sure. So there you have it. Low side valve stem, 134a, and maybe a drier for good luck and it's done.
    Last edited by ThoreauHD; 05-08-2006 at 05:48 AM.

first thing you need to do is

REPLACE THE MICROFILTER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nyc525iTe34
    Hi,

I have 1993 525i Touring (e34) and was hoping someone could offer some quick problem solving. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The problem:
    When the Air Conditioner is on (and snowflake AC button is pressed) the fan works but there is very little (if any) cool air. I tried running the AC for the first time this spring and was unable to get any cool air after running it for 1 hour (while driving). About 6 months ago I replaced the resistor pack and that seemed to correct the fan issue I had. Would you have any idea of what is causing the AC to not work properly?

Not sure if this is related but during the winter every time I put the heat on I would hear an initial click (once) and then the heat would go on perfectly fine. Is this related to the AC? Compressor related?

Possible solutions:
    * Refrigerant - maybe the solution is as easy as simply replacing/recharging the refrigerant. The car is old and i'm not sure when the last time the refrigerant was replaced (or indeed if the refrigerant has to ever be replaced).

* Low freon?

* Replace the compressor - maybe the problem is with a faulty compressor (might this account for the initial clicking I hear when I put the heat on?). Perhaps the compressor clutch is failing to engage when i turn the ac on?

* fuse?

I had the same issue with my 95 525----turned on the AC, and no cold. Fan blew fine,,and could hear the compressor kicking in.
    Took it in for a recharge, and some UV dye added,,,,,a week later,,,no more cold. Checking with an UV light, showed two little leak holes on the condensor. So,,need a new condensor and of course a dryer and the o rings,,,,,was quoted 900-- most of the cost is for the 4-5 hrs labor they saiid is needed to get to the condensor and drier.(that and 40 bucks a pound for r134. (the shops around here are charging 40 bucks a pound for r134,,,more for r12.) Hmm,,,ive seen kegs of r134 on flea bay, going for around $156, for a 30 lg keg.

Sounds like you need to first have some refrig. put in with some dye,,,,,run it for a while,,then have it checked for leaks with the UV light, to start with.
    The UV dye leak test will save you guessing, and grief.

Regards---

Art.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123