GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking help: Air Conditioner issue

The parts are reasonable.. And if you have any links on A/C work, I'd be happy to see them. I can't seem to check Bruno's site, as it looks down.

Default Bma has the evaporator for 141, the filter drier is

92, you can have the lines redone for about 50 at a a/c shop. The factory labor for changing the evaporator is 3.1 hrs and add another hour for changing the lines and filter/drier... evacuate and charge system figure another hour max.. figure 6 hours as a fair estimate plus app. 360 for all parts and refrigerant... somebodies making a whopper of a profit on that job..

Quote Originally Posted by ThoreauHD
    I went to the shop today having the same symptoms you do. They quoted me $1800 for a leak on low side A line and at the evaporator. Need to replace evaporator, rec/drier, and a/c lines.

Talk about make you feel sick.. ehh.. I wish there was a cheaper way to fix the thing.

Default How long does your system hold a charge? If its a small leak just throw a can of

134a in it for the summer. 10.99 a can is a whole lot cheaper each summer than 1800

I went to the shop today having the same symptoms you do. They quoted me $1800 for a leak on low side A line and at the evaporator. Need to replace evaporator, rec/drier, and a/c lines.

Talk about make you feel sick.. ehh.. I wish there was a cheaper way to fix the thing.

Default Check BMA or

Ebay for parts.

I found an exact replacements for my compressor, condenser and drier off of Ebay. spent less than $500.00. 1990 M20 525 (didn't want to "adapt" a new set up)

Just make sure you know what your parts look like and part # s, so you don't have a bad experience half way into it. Email the seller, or call them...most of the good ones are A/C shops and with a little communication can send the right stuff.

As far as refrigeration goes…I have found lots of info from searches.
    Just replace a the O rings on anything you touch, be clean, just in case have extra O rings many sizes and the proper material so you don’t get stuck.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

I don't reckon it's a small leak. It holds for about a month from what I can tell. I just had it recharged last month. 2 lbs worth. Hmm.. these guys charge 60 per hour. So at your estimate, with the 10% discount, it should hover around.. $360 labor + $330 parts= $690 != $1800. Ugh.

I have a mechanic friend that could do this and I can get the parts at discount. I think that might be worth a proper shot.

I'm a computer guy, so while I was quite comfortable replacing a ROM chip on the ECU, I'm not so sure about doing compressed gas lines for the first time on my bmw. Thanks for the kick in the right direction Bill and Bob.
    Last edited by ThoreauHD; 04-12-2006 at 05:58 PM.

Oh, and if worse comes to worst, I can always just pop another can of juice in.

Default Done that monthly

To keep my system pressurized until I could locate all the parts and time to fix it.

But if your evaporator is leaky...then I would not keep filling it up, cause it's leaking out into the cabin for you to breath.
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg Bob; 04-12-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Default I'd find another shop. I'd love to get that much for an

evaporator job... besides a mercedes sl or a volvo 850 that is...like this..

I don't reckon it's a small leak. It holds for about a month from what I can tell. I just had it recharged last month. 2 lbs worth. Hmm.. these guys charge 60 per hour. So at your estimate, with the 10% discount, it should hover around.. $360 labor + $330 parts= $690 != $1800. Ugh.

I have a mechanic friend that could do this and I can get the parts at discount. I think that might be worth a proper shot.

I'm a computer guy, so while I was quite comfortable replacing a ROM chip on the ECU, I'm not so sure about doing compressed gas lines for the first time on my bmw. Thanks for the kick in the right direction Bill.

Default Did the evaporator in Carvan

took 9 hours and a saw.

Didn't want to remove the driver's side stuff and steering column, so cut the plenum in half to replace just the evaporator, and leave the heater side alone…God, I hate that van.

and once you hve had the a/c fixed run it regularly......stops the seals drying out and losing refrigerant
    Gone but not forgotten

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast