GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M50 valve cover torque specs??

Default M50 valve cover torque specs??

I am going to do this job later today. What does the Bentley manual say about torque specs on the valve cover? Also, what spark plugs are generally recommended for this motor? I know the Bosch +4 are ill-advised. Thanks.

I don't know what the Bentley says but as I recall its 82 INCH-pounds. (not ft-lbs) Make sure you have the correct torque wrench for this spec. Also I believe you start with the center fasteners and crosswise work your way to the outside fasteners. When I changed my plugs, I used the NGK's.

gearhead141 Guest

Default Proper plugs

The plugs you need for the M50 engine are Bosch F7 L DCR or an equivalent. The torque on the cover bolts is 89 in-lb. It's a very straight forward replacement and shouldn't take you more than a half hour.

Erich M.

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead141
    The plugs you need for the M50 engine are Bosch F7 L DCR or an equivalent. The torque on the cover bolts is 89 in-lb. It's a very straight forward replacement and shouldn't take you more than a half hour.

Erich M.

I got the Bosch Platinum 2's, will these do?

Were they spec'd for your car? Did your parts-retailer tell you they were correct? I used the NGK's because I always hear controversial stuff about Bosch plugs. I'm not saying they are good or bad. I've used NGK's in almost every car/truck/motorcycle/watercraft I have ever owned. BMA sells the correct NGK equivalent to the factory Bosch.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Jason_S
    Were they spec'd for your car? Did your parts-retailer tell you they were correct? I used the NGK's because I always hear controversial stuff about Bosch plugs. I'm not saying they are good or bad. I've used NGK's in almost every car/truck/motorcycle/watercraft I have ever owned. BMA sells the correct NGK equivalent to the factory Bosch.

Yeah they are spec'd to the car... they had Platinum 2 and platinum 4 and i know better than to use platinum 4. Now... trying to find a modest torque wrench to do 7.4ft lbs.

The plugs are probably fine then.

I had to borrow a torque wrench from a friend for that job. Thats why I wanted to give you the heads up. Most people don't have a torque wrench that works in that range.