GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purolator oil filter doesn't fit e34 540

Default Purolator oil filter doesn't fit e34 540

I recently purchased a 1995 540i and luckily stumbled upon this site. Reading previous threads has been extremely helpful in learning more about the car, but today I came across a problem that I couldn't find any information about.

I was going to change the oil myself for the first time on this car so I bought a Purolator oil filter part #L37212. I drained the oil, pulled the old oil filter and went to replace it with the new one but found that it wouldn't fit. There is a vertical tube in the oil filter housing that is about 1/2" wider than the opening in the oil filter. This specific filter was recommended at http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/t...ocedures_2.htm and in the Purolator application guide.

I came across one person who seemed to have the same problem here: http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e3...ges/36671.html. Has anyone seen this problem? The store won't take the filter back because I've opened the packaging and got a few drops of oil on the filter so I was hoping to make this one work. Thanks in advance for the help and I look forward to participating more in the forums.

That's easy... you currently have the brown insert in there used by the current V8 engine... it is better to use that since it is an improved method of filtering the oil and something to do with oil pressure.

If you still want to use your old filter... pull out that brown insert and save it for next time. You may have to twist and pull it out.

Yep, a long time ago with filters for my M30. Same deal. Purolator claims they fit, but they were too long and had incorrect hole dimensions. I don't bother with Purolator any more. They may be OK for your Ford or Chevy, but I buy only OEM filters now. From Autohausaz they don't cost any more than Purolators from the usual automotive retailers, and they always fit correctly.

The problem you ran into is that somewhere along the line in the E34 540s BMW added the center support for the filter element. The earlier filters were Mahle and had a smaller ID. The later filters were from Hengst and had the larger ID. Since you have a later production car, you need the Hengst. It's about $8.50 at Autohaus and includes the O-ring and crush gasket for the drain plug.

purolator has a note in the catalog about m60 made before/after a certain date, and about which insert is already in the housing. you may have one that does not.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

pull the plastic dildo out of the canister and save it for next oil change when you get the current filter style.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    pull the plastic dildo out of the canister and save it for next oil change when you get the current filter style.
    Since we are on the topic of oil filters,....I'm having trouble getting the cap of the filter housing off. It is really on there tight and I'm afraid of putting too much pressure to it that I'll strip the hex head or tear the whole housing from its mounts. Any tips or tricks to getting the cap off???? The car is a 1995 530i.

Thanks for the help!

I got a big socket and unscrew it. The seal is from the o ring not massive amounts of twist. Someone probably really wrenched it on there, should unscrew with a little energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordie
    Since we are on the topic of oil filters,....I'm having trouble getting the cap of the filter housing off. It is really on there tight and I'm afraid of putting too much pressure to it that I'll strip the hex head or tear the whole housing from its mounts. Any tips or tricks to getting the cap off???? The car is a 1995 530i.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Gordie
    36mm socket from Sears. It is 1/2 inch drive and costs about $7.
    '95 540iA ~212k

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer_61
    36mm socket from Sears. It is 1/2 inch drive and costs about $7.
    Thanks, I was using an adjustable and that did not budge it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast