GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: What to look for and look out for E34

Default What to look for and look out for E34

I'm thinking of purchasing a E34 (540 with 6 speed, or earlier 535 with 5 speed).

I tend to keep my cars a LONG time (Jeep currently has 277,000), so what can I expect with a 540 or 535 wrt maintence of a high mileage example?

What specifics should I look for when inspecting these cars?

I've noticed that engine rebuild prices are pretty high for the BMW V8's when compared to the trust 3.5 or earlier 4s. Even considering the added components - why is that?

What are some "Gotchas"?

Respectfully,
    cluge
    http://www.italian-cars.com

The 535i engine will last indefinetely with proper maintainence. The 540i engine might have nikasil issues, but it will be more powerful.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Here is some good advice from Bruno's website as to 'what will break.' Although, I have only had trouble with 2 things on the list... knock on wood

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/troubl...will_break.htm

Present: Black 1995 525i | Past: Red 1989 535i; Black 1985 535i

and maybe you should read this recent thread...

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13002

Present: Black 1995 525i | Past: Red 1989 535i; Black 1985 535i

Thank you for the replies - the "what will break" link should be posted in a board FAQ. I have been directed to several weak on facts "FAQs" regarding the E34.

The current E34 I'm looking at has low compression on #2 and #8 cylinders (50 lbs less than the other 6). I'm thinking engine transplant/rebuild if I can aquire the car at the right price. Any one have experience with rebuilders, or suppliers for a the 4L v8, or is it sensible/easy to step up to a slightly higher displancement V8?

cluge
    Last edited by cluge; 04-09-2006 at 12:51 PM.

Find a car with a good heart. The engine should have been replaced if it was a nikasil. The transmission should not have skipping problems with full fluid. With those intact, this car will be the best you have ever driven. The rest are minor and maintenance based annoynaces. Just wear and tear, which is outlined properly on bruno's site above. Good luck. The 540 is an excellent choice.

An M5 or 535/5 would be the choice for me, in that order. A 535 should need a head gasket and perhaps a little bit of head work during its life. Otherwise, if it's maintained, it'll go indefinitely. Lots of performance and possibilities; none of the added bulk of a V8.

You're potentially walking into more maintenance issues with a 540/6. The trannies are known to need work; the engine is aluminum. Personally, I don't like the way V8 E34s ride. Drive as many different cars as you can and buy the one you like the most.

best, whit

if youve only driven an M60 it drives excellent! I believe this to be the best car ever, altho I never drove a 6 cyl E34.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    An M5 or 535/5 would be the choice for me, in that order. A 535 should need a head gasket and perhaps a little bit of head work during its life. Otherwise, if it's maintained, it'll go indefinitely. Lots of performance and possibilities; none of the added bulk of a V8.

You're potentially walking into more maintenance issues with a 540/6. The trannies are known to need work; the engine is aluminum. Personally, I don't like the way V8 E34s ride. Drive as many different cars as you can and buy the one you like the most.

best, whit
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

If you have kept a jeep going that long, you will love a BMW.
    The radiator ( like youre jeep) needs regular cleaning. The crank sensors on jeeps and BMWs both fail after a long time, and the relays act funny with age.
    Just do oil,oil filters, fuel filters, air filters, and tranny filters and the will keep going.
    Unlike jeepers, bimmer nuts are spastic if their cars make a weird noise and post 100 questions over why their car made a funny noise when they hit an ant turd going 90 mph.
    Just like many jeepers say you must swap a d44 for a d30 , bmw gurus will say you must swap this and that to keep it alive.
    Get one, do basic maintenance, and drive it.
    89 525, 86 jetta diesel, 07 wrx with mods, 06 commander
    1 mean wife, 2 daughters, 1 bull mastiff. At least the jetta
    is cheap to keep up.