GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Simple fix to keyless/keyfob problems

Default Simple fix to keyless/keyfob problems

I got my 525i a little over a year ago and the keyless entry system has never worked quite right. Sometimes it would work great, then not at all, then just once in a while. I tried new batteries, resetting the system by putting the keyfob chips in the main module at least a dozen times, but nothing worked consistenly. Other people have tried aiming the keyfob at their skull to amplify the signal, using a lightpole, measuring the humidity, but none of those were very satisfying solutions. I noticed though, that it worked almost 100% of the time when I had the back seat up......

It didn't make much sense, but I thought the seat was somehow blocking the RF signal from getting to the module, so I put the antenna behind the headrest with an extension cable. That STILL didn't work! With the seat down, that is. It worked just fine with the seat up......

I started thinking that maybe it wasn't the RF signal, but a loose connection caused by the seat being put in place. So, I unscrewed the keyless entry module and placed it in a more recessed area under the seat so that it wouldn't be bumped when I put the seat back on and voila - it works like a charm!

It'd be interesting to know if this works for anyone else. I did a quick search of the archives to look for similar recommendations, but didn't find any. My apologies if this is redundant.

What got me re-interested in solving this problem is that the driver's side key cylinder is getting a bit sluggish. Any advice on how to clean that up?

I'm definately going to try this when I get home.
    I'll let you know if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    I'm definately going to try this when I get home.
    I'll let you know if it works.
    Dude... how do you fell about not being in the movies..
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

I've had the exact same problem! i'm going to try this out , and respond if it worked for me!
    Cheers!

I went downstairs , and moved the reciever out from its bracket and put it in a little recess in the middle area of the seat. i closed all the door and locked the seat in place and tried the remote . IT WORKS!! this thread has relieved me of all the key fob frustrations i've been having for the past few days , thanks again!
    Cheers!