GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Ed, thanks again for the help with the

Default Ed, thanks again for the help with the

m3 for my friend. He ended up getting that one and he's loving it. Hasn't driven it 100 miles yet and he's already signed up for bmwcca and for driving school... I can't believe he almost bought a miata or a boxster, that is until he drove this... have to admit , i like the smg 6sp. and i like the backup sensors... may have to get them for the touring.

di you drive the car Bill? Impressions?
    Gone but not forgotten

Default I got to drive it around for awhile, up through some twisties and around town in city

traffic... if i didn't have to pay for it i'd have one in a second. Very tight, not like most of the convertibles i've driven. I have a few customers who will only own convertibles and have inspected/driven a number of them for them. Comparing the ones i 've driven this is easily the best. The smg manual takes some getting used to but once you do its not bad. I'm not thrilled with the 5 modes to adjust the smg though.. the softest shift mode seems like it slips too much to me. Really like the overall feel, the handling and power is typical m3, the buffeting with the top down at 70 plus mph is very mild. Didn't get to drive it with the top up. Braking is very good...stry enough even with the big wheels it didn't feel too rough unlike alot of the lowered e46's i've driven with 18's on them

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    di you drive the car Bill? Impressions?

That is exactly like my friends M3, only a different color....the SMG was wild when you were going slow and hammered it. It would instantly make the engine rev match and drop a gear or two and whoosh.....there you go. It was very cool, especially when we took it to the autocross...what a blast!

There is a procedure you can go through to do a 7,000 rpm launch while standing still. When the cars were new, you were only allowed to do 7 of them under warranty, after that, it's your baby.

I was completely surprised how quiet it was with the top up, and I really liked the two small led lights that lit up the console area at night. The chrome SMG shifter really looked cool at night.

Yup, I agree Bill, if money was abundant, I'd have one too!....

Did this one have the rod bearings changed in it yet? I know model years up to at least 2003 were supposed to get the new bearings and an extended warranty for the engine up to 100k miles.

Jr

Default Hi Jr, i didn't try any 7k launches in it...

my friend would have killed me if i had. This one is a 2004 with around 7k miles on it. It doesn't have the extended motor warranty since they already took care of the rod bearing problem.. we checked on it first thing to make sure that that wasn't an issue with this car. I told him that that color was arrest me red and he had no idea what i was talking about.... he'll find out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    That is exactly like my friends M3, only a different color....the SMG was wild when you were going slow and hammered it. It would instantly make the engine rev match and drop a gear or two and whoosh.....there you go. It was very cool, especially when we took it to the autocross...what a blast!

There is a procedure you can go through to do a 7,000 rpm launch while standing still. When the cars were new, you were only allowed to do 7 of them under warranty, after that, it's your baby.

I was completely surprised how quiet it was with the top up, and I really liked the two small led lights that lit up the console area at night. The chrome SMG shifter really looked cool at night.

Yup, I agree Bill, if money was abundant, I'd have one too!....

Did this one have the rod bearings changed in it yet? I know model years up to at least 2003 were supposed to get the new bearings and an extended warranty for the engine up to 100k miles.

Jr

I told him that that color was arrest me red and he had no idea what i was talking about.... he'll find out though
    hahaha did you try ArrestpauseMepauseRed<grin>.........</Grin>
    Gone but not forgotten