GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World record Thrust arm longevity?

Default World record Thrust arm longevity?

My FCP Hamburg test results are in....

I have almost 10k miles on my FCP thrust arms and the busings are giving the 55-65 shake!!! woohoo look at all the money I saved and the fun I had, cant wait to do this all over again in less than a few months.

AMEN for cheap parts, if not for that what fun would I have! This is with their self proclaimed 750 bushings too.

I think I'll join in the group buy and get a few sets, maybe I can make it to a year with all of em.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

hmmmmm, has anyone thought of setting a spherical bearing in place of the bush?

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Default yes, there is an online performance parts place with them........

but i would not buy them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    hmmmmm, has anyone thought of setting a spherical bearing in place of the bush?
    tim s.

i was thinking more along the lines of SKF.

the new guy at my shop made it a whole week on his hamburg technic e30 m3 control arm bushings before one took a ****, i installed them so i know they didn't get ****ed up in instalation. lemforder arms and m5 bushings!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    My FCP Hamburg test results are in....

I have almost 10k miles on my FCP thrust arms and the busings are giving the 55-65 shake!!! woohoo look at all the money I saved and the fun I had, cant wait to do this all over again in less than a few months.

AMEN for cheap parts, if not for that what fun would I have! This is with their self proclaimed 750 bushings too.

I think I'll join in the group buy and get a few sets, maybe I can make it to a year with all of em.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

probably wouldn't last long with the shock load, maybe long enough to screw up the mounting point on the body

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    i was thinking more along the lines of SKF.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Yep, my thoughts exactly... nice place for metal fatigue to

set in and really break something.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    probably wouldn't last long with the shock load, maybe long enough to screw up the mounting point on the body

wasnt bruno offering to make/sell some thrust arms with a roller bearing in place of the thrust are bushing a while back? seems like that would probably just shift the damage to something not so easily replaced. anyone remember that?
    -Pekka

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    yeah i would be more worried about the mounting that the bearing, i've seen some road cars with sphericals. such as a low volume road car built in toowoomba this one i'd highly doubt that a spherical that size would have any trouble
    let me put it this way i looked at the sphericals at skf, one with an outer race diameter of 35 mm can withstand 41.5kN or 4.2 tonnes force of dynamic load. i am guess the size you'd look at would be closer to 40 mm diameter? there is no way in hell that a thrust arm will see accelerations higher than 1.5g from braking since a 5er weighs about 1700 kg that would be 2.55 tonnes of force. not to mention that their dynamic capacity would probably already have a safety factor on it so i guess the question is, how big is the external diameter of the bush?

Why don't you have the m5 bushings pressed into the Hamburg arms? It will still be cheaper than buying the real thing. I actually always wanted to perform a uniaxial tensile strengt test or something on lemford and Hamburg parts to see how their quality stacks up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast