GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Proper conversion from Dinosaur to Synthetic Oil

Default Proper conversion from Dinosaur to Synthetic Oil

Hi,

I've recently switched over from standard dinosaur oil to Mobil 1 0w40. I took some folks advice from here as they seem to like it. I've read various comments and sites stating that you should change your oil after anywhere between 500 miles and 3000 miles on the first synthetic switchover. The oil pump getting clogged and the like are listed as reasons.

At what mileage do you change out the synthetic oil after the first installment? My mechanic says it doesn't matter and to change it at 5K. Other sites say 500 miles to 3K. My mechanic makes money off of it when its not working, so I would like your opinion on doing it proper. Thanks.

I have 2 examples/opinions on this. I bought a pristine 93 volvo(bobo)240 with 70k and switched to mobile 1. It leaked from every orifice of it's swedish motor. I put a rear main in it and it still marked it turf. May have parked to near a Harley:>
    My 04 golf required vw 505.01 ( non synth) oil to keep the warranty, at $89 a change. At 50001, I switched to mobil1 and ran it 5k and changed. I then ran
    10k( the vw recommended interval) for the last 60k and life is good.
    I would get a good, bosch or mobil1, filter and just keep up on the maintenance.
    If you are really concerned, do an analysis and follow their advice.
    89 525, 86 jetta diesel, 07 wrx with mods, 06 commander
    1 mean wife, 2 daughters, 1 bull mastiff. At least the jetta
    is cheap to keep up.

Default Speaking as one of the few actual mechanics on here, i've switched

hundreds of cars over to synthetic and i would say that your mechanic is telling it like it is. The oil pump won't get clogged up contrary to what anybody else may say. Synthetic does seem to have a higher level of detergent but it takes a lot longer than 5k to break loose enough varnish and deposits to plug up an oil filter. Somebody's blowing smoke at you.
    I've been running synthetic in my 535 for at least 40k now and i had the valve cover off when i first got it and have had it off recently and the actual amount of varnish cleanup is probably about 30% removed in the 40k that i've been using it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoreauHD
    Hi,

I've recently switched over from standard dinosaur oil to Mobil 1 0w40. I took some folks advice from here as they seem to like it. I've read various comments and sites stating that you should change your oil after anywhere between 500 miles and 3000 miles on the first synthetic switchover. The oil pump getting clogged and the like are listed as reasons.

At what mileage do you change out the synthetic oil after the first installment? My mechanic says it doesn't matter and to change it at 5K. Other sites say 500 miles to 3K. My mechanic makes money off of it when its not working, so I would like your opinion on doing it proper. Thanks.

Excellent. Thanks for the posts. 5K it is.

bill, just a quick question do you recommend running for the first synthetic period and subsequent periods for 20k km (12k) miles between oil changes with a 10k km (6k miles) filter change?
    or just oil and filter change at 10k km (6k miles) as per usual

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Default I change mine at 5 to 7.5 k mile intervals, oil and filter, I don't like

the sludging pics that Whit has posted from the later model bmw's that have been using the factory synthetic and 10 to 15k changes depending on what the service interval indicator says.. so i have been electing not to go longer than 7.5 k miles with synthetic and filters.

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    bill, just a quick question do you recommend running for the first synthetic period and subsequent periods for 20k km (12k) miles between oil changes with a 10k km (6k miles) filter change?
    or just oil and filter change at 10k km (6k miles) as per usual

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    the sludging pics that Whit has posted from the later model bmw's that have been using the factory synthetic and 10 to 15k changes depending on what the service interval indicator says.. so i have been electing not to go longer than 7.5 k miles with synthetic and filters.
    thanks mate i appeciate the advice

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

I would use AutoRX if switching to synthetic, just so that all the crap is out of there. the V8 oil capacity is big, so you can do 10K on your average synthetic without massive sludge buildup.

If you push your car, like not letting it warm up for a minute before driving, or running it in S mode with the foot close to the kickdown switch then i would run a max of 6000 and switch to an oil with better wear characteristics than M1.

My reason for that is that M1 has no moly in it, and the only oil that I have seen that has moly-like wear is Amsoil "high performance" and "heavy duty" oils. the Euro car formula has higher wear. Redline oils and Mutol oils contain moly and nice amounts of zinc and phosphorous (more so than M1) .