GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/C compressors - do USA ones work on euro cars?

Default A/C compressors - do USA ones work on euro cars?

Realoem.com gives different part numbers; are they compatible with each other?

USA - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...04&hg=64&fg=50

Euro - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...71&hg=64&fg=50

I assume only the compressor capacity is different. probably for Australia the compressor is layed out for higher ambient temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    I assume only the compressor capacity is different. probably for Australia the compressor is layed out for higher ambient temperatures.
    Given the heat in texas I'd be surprised, but BMW would know better than me. Are you going to do an overhaul on it if you can find one Kris? I wonder if it can be done on a normal bench or requires some pullers or special tools...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

copied from a posting some days ago: (Joshua43214)

I have "rebuilt" quite a few different compressors, many parts can be order from an aftermarket source if you have the compressor model number, I don't think BMW sources any of the parts besides the clutch and the nose seal.

The nose seal requires special tools to install and remove, but other than that, it is fairly straightforward work. Generaly though, aside from replacing a nose seal, its not worth dealing with. And some repairs can't be done out side of a rebuilding facility.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    copied from a posting some days ago: (Joshua43214) The nose seal requires special tools to install and remove, but other than that, it is fairly straightforward work. Generaly though, aside from replacing a nose seal, its not worth dealing with. And some repairs can't be done out side of a rebuilding facility.
    Ouch thanks Erich, sounds like a few parts in there are hard-going. Perhaps a good way to go is to take your old one in with a seal kit and ask them to do an economical repair rather than a full 'remanufacture'. Mine makes some noise so the main bearing is going to have to be replaced at some point and was expecting to do that and the various seals myself. I'll post about it when I get around to it, which could be a while away as she works just fine still...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

id suspect that the difference is avalable brands of compressor in the respective market, in the us we have seiko/bosch wing cell style compressors and nippondenso oscillating plate style compressors, theres a early and late nippondenso and many different wingcell configurations inrespect to hose and mounting positions
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default When you look at the newest part number it switches over to the

same number on both euro and US.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    Realoem.com gives different part numbers; are they compatible with each other?

USA - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...04&hg=64&fg=50

Euro - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...71&hg=64&fg=50

Look at your compressor... copy the make and model number then buy the replacement unit... they are all the same. In Australia... there is a company Unicla... if they have your part... it would be cheap.

http://www.sca-australia.com.au/unic...ducts/BMW.html

The most important thing is you must look at your compressor and find the name of manufacturer and the model. Alot of the compressor can be bought for under $300. Rebuilt for about $200 if you send yoiur unit in.

Thanks for the information gentlemen.

Kris,

check the price there and let us know. I found a supplier in Germany which has remanufactured ones for 240 EURO for your model, core has to be returned.
    https://www.technikzentrum.net/shop_...?kat=32&page=2

Comes with 2 years warranty.

Got to E34 and the click on "Produktbeschreibung" and then it clearly says for which engine.

For my Highline I also have to get a new one respect. a reman/repaired one. Not in a hurry, as still under reconstruction. Maybe I remove the compressor from my other parts 750 and ask for overhaul of this one.
    I still have to check which maker, I hope it is Nippondenso, then no problem.
    Last edited by shogun; 04-09-2006 at 05:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast