GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: stupid rear sounds

Default stupid rear sounds

this crap is getting to me now. forget the front end, the brakes etc, lets think about the rear section...

at times, usually going real slow, especially in reverse if the wheels turned theres a scrubbing kinda grippy sound, soooo... I replaced the dogbones (wasted) and changed the rear end dope to 75w140 full synthetic. Prior i had the 75w90 (?) full synthetic. There wasnt much ground up crap in the old fluid at all.

At times, when going real slow and tapping the gas it kinda thuds like the differential is loose or the brackets or some **** like that. No play between the rear end and trans that I can tell and the diff seems like its still tight.

your turn...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

How are your half shafts?

today they seem tight, both joints on both sides seem tight, is it a necessity to use diff LSD additive? It has been fine for mega miles without it. Clutches fried maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    How are your half shafts?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

hrm hard to say - could be clutches

im thinking that but if they were completely worn from me doing one wheel holeshots constantly the fluid would or should have reflected that and as I remember when clutches were fried it made a metal to metal sound with no grippies. I havent abused the thing even once)

Its just real wierd man, how the hell to access to inspect mr guibo the italian mob leader?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    hrm hard to say - could be clutches
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Happen more during sharp turns (doing figure 8s?) Check park brake adjustment. If it's a little too tight, you'll get scrubbing sounds.

Guibo: use a mirror, stick it up past the driveshaft, shine a light up there with it. Can't remember where the joint is on the 530, so I can't tell you which way will work (from back of trans or pinion flange area). If it's still impossible to see, lower the exhaust slightly and remove the heat shield.

best, whit

I don't know if you remember my recent thread about a noise on turns ... turned out to be the fuel sender unit ... as you know, it's 2 pieces of plastic and over time it got a little lose, swings and hits the fuel pump/tank.

Not saying that it definitely is that, but you might wanna look into it...you never know, our cars are old ...

good ideas so far...bump
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy