GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Sopping wet carpet... help

Default Sopping wet carpet... help

Has anyone experienced a water leak from the firewall area? And also, is it a known fault to get water seeping in from around the heater hoses?
    As the title states, my carpet on the front passenger footwell (RHD) is wet whenever the car has been in the rain, and yes, I have checked the sunroof drains, and it definately isn't coolant. It seems to be coming in from the vents underneath the windscreen wipers.

Also, if anyone have an exploded illustration of the heater and the hoses, thru the firewall, would be a great help. I've pulled the passenger panels off but don't want to touch the heater as I don't have any illustrations, so cannot get close enough to find out where the water is coming from.

Any help would be appreciated
    Cheers

sunroof drain was gonna be my guess......
    Gone but not forgotten

Lift your car up on jack stands or place it in ramps and you will see two tubes coming down on either side of the engine near fire wall. Use a cut coat hanger and poke in them and remove clogs.

Arun
    530i / Nikasil M60 3 Ltr Motor / ZF5HP18 (A5S 310Z) Tranny / Prod: March 95 / Fully stock / 95K miles

double check the sunroof drains, you can poor water down the drains from a cup and watch in drain on the floor. If ok, have someone run a hose down the center of the windscreen and see if its really driping from the vents or just near it. I just can't remember how the area arround the blower drains, I think there are 2 drains above the bell housing for the evaporator. If water should somehow enter the vents, it should drain there before it drains into the car. Make sure the area arround the blower is free of leaves, and drains properly.

If none of that works, pull up the carpet and padding in front, and dry every thing out. climb in and have an assistant run water from a hose down different areas until it leaks in, and explore from there. Body leaks are a pain to find sometimes, so goodluck and hope its a cloged drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Has anyone experienced a water leak from the firewall area? And also, is it a known fault to get water seeping in from around the heater hoses?
    As the title states, my carpet on the front passenger footwell (RHD) is wet whenever the car has been in the rain, and yes, I have checked the sunroof drains, and it definately isn't coolant. It seems to be coming in from the vents underneath the windscreen wipers.

Also, if anyone have an exploded illustration of the heater and the hoses, thru the firewall, would be a great help. I've pulled the passenger panels off but don't want to touch the heater as I don't have any illustrations, so cannot get close enough to find out where the water is coming from.

Any help would be appreciated
    Cheers
    I had the same problem on my '94 E34, both sides, looked at AC drains, vents, etc., but finally found it was leaking WINDSHIELD sealant! I have an ultrasonic leak detector which uses a little battery powered ultrasonic emitter, and a detector. I put the emitter on the dash, and with the trim strips around the windshield pulled off I ran the detector around the outside windshield edges and found leaks at most of the clips that hold the trim strips on. I siliconed around each clip, until the detector found no more leaks, and that stopped the wet carpet!
    David Shealey
    San Diego, CA
    '94 525i
    '01 740iL

Thanks all, the interior is in bits and I am getting the windscreen taken out tomorrow, so am hoping that it is the sealant, no suprises if its not as easy as that though.

Cheers.

Oh crap - I have the same problem, but pulling the windshield sounds expensive. Thanks for the tips though. Will try em out.
    Freude am Fahren - Damn straight!