GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damn Ticking is driving me insane.

Default Damn Ticking is driving me insane.

I posted a couple of month ago about Valve ticking noises coming out of my engine, and since then I have adjusted the valves in my 1991 ,535I at least 5 times, I went with what the Bently manual said .13, too loud then .12, no luck then somebody said it could be the eccentrics, I replaced every single one of them plus the nuts and bolts , no luck then I went down to .11 still ticking , I upgraded to fully sinthetyc oil 5w 50 , used seafoam to clean the combustion chamber, replaced all sparkplugs and I use a metal gasket, anyways I gave it a last ditch effort yesterday and went down to .12 and it just got louder, all I can tell is that the ticking is most noticeable in cylinder 1 and maybe two, also the car has a very steady 700 rpm iddle and runs perfectly , I would like to mention that I do own another 535i and the ticking is nowhere near as loud as the 91 , even though I haven't adjusted the valves on the other car in at least 40k miles anyways I'm all out of ideas if anyone knows what else it could be I would really appreciate it.

Replace your injectors.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    Replace your injectors.
    The previous owner replaced them when he rebuilt the head, probably not that long ago , plus the noise is not coming from the injectors is mainly in the front cylinders

Worn rockers or camshaft lobes, or worn timing chain guide. All of which should have been inspected when the head was off.

More than a likely possibility is that whoever did the head work didn't reinstall the oil sprayer bar correctly and the front lobes are being slightly oil starved.

best, whit

exactly, inspect the cam lobes. Look for the top of the lobes to be different from the rest, maybe even flat on top, this will cause a definite Tick sound. Look around and inspect it all while the cover is off. Take pictures and post them.

Another idea is to check the oil pressure, that could cause all sorts of problems not directly related to sound.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

All 535 tick........Well mine does
    89 535 272,000km auto Euro

I have the same problem with 316i E36 97 model, I don't know where to adjust the valve's I check the timing chain, and i noticed that there's some play when I rotated the main shaft, is this the problem?

Well I gave up on it for now, since I'm not driving my car that much, but you can try turning up the radio, that's the colsest I came to fixing my ticking isssues, just jocking but I think I have an exhaust leak I just don't know how to find it.

that could definetly be your tick, get new exhaust gaskets and replace them? (if it has em)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-ny-m398
    Well I gave up on it for now, since I'm not driving my car that much, but you can try turning up the radio, that's the colsest I came to fixing my ticking isssues, just jocking but I think I have an exhaust leak I just don't know how to find it.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

but you can try turning up the radio
    thats how i drown out my rear wheel bearings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast