GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 50-60 shimmy all of a sudden?

Default 50-60 shimmy all of a sudden?

ok guys, heres the deal, today i changed the right front wheel bearing/hub assembly, i noticed an allen bolt on the hub which looked like it was securing something like a washer on it, but whatever it was, it was rusted away, so i didnt put it back on the new hub, now i am getting the blasted shimmy when driving, and its very harsh when braking, it feels like everything under the car is falling apart, question, what the hell was the allen bolt securing and it this bolt the cause of the shimmy?
    thanx in advance

Did you torque the wheel lug-bolts to the correct torque in the proper pattern? Sorry im not sure if that allen bolt could cause your shimmy. Your bentley probably tells you.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

the little bolt isnt a big deal, what you need to watch is that the mating surfaces are clean so the rotor sits absolutly flush to the hub. Same goes for the outside of the rotor and back of the wheel surface.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

ok will check that tomorrow, thanx

the allen screw is locates the disc doent it....could the rotor be slightly of centre????(question to the wise ones)
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    the allen screw is locates the disc doent it....could the rotor be slightly of centre????(question to the wise ones)
    the bolt you are talking about just keeps the rotor from falling off on the assembly line. The rotor and the wheel are centered by the raised "cone" on the hub.

Not sure if this is the same part the poster means. Did you buy a used hub assy? Compare the old and new parts, there should be 6 holes on the hub face, make sure the smaller hole is in the same "clock" position on both hubs, I'm not sure they are interchangeable.

I like the idea of a piece of debris traped under the rotor too, giving every thing a bad run out. Did the wheel fit on the hub properly? if the hub center is too large the wheel will rock and be impossible to properly torque. Make sure the inside area that fits arround the hub on the rim is free of corrosion, Ive seen corrosion prevent the wheel from fitting up properly.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua43214
    the bolt you are talking about just keeps the rotor from falling off on the assembly line. The rotor and the wheel are centered by the raised "cone" on the hub.

Not sure if this is the same part the poster means. Did you buy a used hub assy? Compare the old and new parts, there should be 6 holes on the hub face, make sure the smaller hole is in the same "clock" position on both hubs, I'm not sure they are interchangeable.

I like the idea of a piece of debris traped under the rotor too, giving every thing a bad run out. Did the wheel fit on the hub properly? if the hub center is too large the wheel will rock and be impossible to properly torque. Make sure the inside area that fits arround the hub on the rim is free of corrosion, Ive seen corrosion prevent the wheel from fitting up properly.

nope i bought a new hub assenbly, and i just visually compared them, they looked the same at a glance, as for the smaller hole being in the same clock position, i really cant say, i didnt pay attention to that.
    i didnt check the center for rust or corrosion so i guess ill have to check that during the week
    thanx