GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel line to fuel rail, pipe bursts

Default Fuel line to fuel rail, pipe bursts

Hi Guys

I have a '92 535i, in the engine compartment, on the rear left side (from inside). where the intake manifold is. my fuel line is connected from the tank to the fuel rail, with a small piece of rubber tubing.

I have replaced this piping 3 times allready, its always bloated and looking like its going to pop any second. and it has popped, twice allready...

there is obviously too much fuel pressure. or no pressure is getting released. its bloated even when the car is turned off.

Anyone have any ideas ?

thanks, MG.

Are you sure it's the correct type of hose and rated to handle 75+PSI??
    91 535iA M30 Auto
    Born in 3/91 (The Bimmer, not me )

120,000 Miles
    Pics soon--she is a work in progress

Hi athflying89

Yehp, I asked the guy at the store where I baught it, he says the pipe is supposedly very very tough. and that if it bursts, something is wrong. so yeah, dunno what to do really. so many things seem to go wrong with my car. I can't afford to take it in anymore.

the way I feel at the moment, I want to drive it into a lake, and forget about it.

:/

Do yourself a favor - find a shop or go buy a fuel pressure gauge and a T fitting from homedepot. Put the T in there so you can see what your fuel pressure is. I bet you're using the fuel lines for carburated cars (15 psi) and not fuel injected cars (45+ psi). I had the same thing happen, and yes, the guy at the store said it was the right hose. Simply take off the fuel line at the front of the injector rail, put the T fitting in with the fuel gauge attached, and connect a new piece of fuel line to where every you unhooked. Idle the car, read the gauge. Get back to us. PS if your fuel pressure were too high the car would run like **** - it would run too rich.

Make sure when you buy the hose it says "for fuel injected cars"

You have the wrong hose, The correct hose can withstand the dead head pressure almost indefinately. Get a new hose from the new parts you guy you need to find. May want to consider a new small parts store incase they dont sell the right hose.

I also think the hose is wrong, I see on my fuel delivery line, the hose there is much much harder. this one tho, the one thats bursting is my fuel return line. however, the pipe says it can withstand 20bar. thats like 290psi. so I dunno, I still think something is wrong. I will take a picture quickly, and post it. be right back.

Ok, Here are the pictures. the "Fuel Return" on, is the one that pops leaks and bursts. that pipe shouldn't have any pressure on it tho right ?

cause if its to return fuel, it should just run back into the tank.

Please tell me what u think.

Thanks
    MG.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default It is fuel delivery, ...

the fuel return is in the front after the pressure regulator. I do also have issues with that hose, but it is more related to tightness of the clamps than to the hose itself. Yes you need a fuel injected cars fuel hose, but that is not that complicated.

The problem is the size and quality of the clamps, that can not be tied enough. I feel that the main effort for this fix should be oriented to a good selection of the clamp. Bill R. (and believe me, he knows what he does) suggested to use BMW clamps, may be it deserves the investment and have a definite fix for this nasty issue.

Javier
    Last edited by Javier; 04-02-2006 at 06:45 PM.

Ok, cool. I will go get some hosing and hose clamps from BMW. and see what happens. I thaught it might have been something else. since there is so much pressure. Hopefully something else doesn't pop when I put a tougher hose on there.

Thanks for the info.

Over, and Out.
    MG.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier
    the fuel return is in the front after the pressure regulator. I do also have issues with that hose, but it is more related to tightness of the clamps than to the hose itself. Yes you need a fuel injected cars fuel hose, but that is not that complicated.

The problem is the size and quality of the clamps, that can not be tied enough. I feel that the main effort for this fix should be oriented to a good selection of the clamp. Bill R. (and believe me, he knows what he do) suggested to use BMW clamps, may be it deserves the investment and have a definite fix for this nasty issue.

Javier

crap in the fuel lines after the hose?

run some techron fuel system cleaner in every tank for the next month or so.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast