GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New hood shocks.. hard to compress?

Default New hood shocks.. hard to compress?

Are these things supposed to compress by hand? I cannot compress them... I am sort of concerned these are broken... but two? They are from Meistersatz.

Ordered two of them from AutohausAZ and the part # i have match the part # they list online....

I have to like put my body weight on them in order to begin to compress... is this right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Are these things supposed to compress by hand? I cannot compress them... I am sort of concerned these are broken... but two? They are from Meistersatz.

Ordered two of them from AutohausAZ and the part # i have match the part # they list online....

I have to like put my body weight on them in order to begin to compress... is this right?
    No they wont compress by hand. Stick them on and they'll work as they should. Be aware that your bonnet will 'bounce' open when you pull the release. I'm sure there's a way to fix it but I haven't been bothered yet.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by wingman
    No they wont compress by hand. Stick them on and they'll work as they should. Be aware that your bonnet will 'bounce' open when you pull the release. I'm sure there's a way to fix it but I haven't been bothered yet.
    thats a bit scary should be getting some new ones this week too from BMA, time to retire the faithful stick.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

I got mine off the bay. A guy in SA shipped them to me for about the same price as BMA. I got the Meyle brand though the OEM is Stabilus. This guy does shocks for a living and his service was excellent.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

If you can compress by hand, then I would be concerned. They are supposed to be that stiff. It is pretty cool when you first put them in and pull the lever....the hood pops right open. Definitely beats the broomstick method. Make sure you get the little tab in the groove or they will keep popping off when you close the hood.
    91 535iA M30 Auto
    Born in 3/91 (The Bimmer, not me )

120,000 Miles
    Pics soon--she is a work in progress

They're in - I got the Meistersatz brand from AutoHausAZ... they came with clips that were not very effective - I ended up re-using the original clips, they held the pins SO much better. I was worried that they were the type of shock that doesn't come to then end of its travel when the hood is up and I'd have to install them partially compressed - turned out not to be the case, they went right in, installation took 10 mins. Sister pulled the hood latch and whoosh up pops the hood! Stable as hell. Now I can pop the hood without taking peoples heads off. The old ones were compressable by hand, very easily at that.

sounds right

how about the nut behind the steering wheel to tighten it where is it under the wheel does anyone know?

its by the floor, but what the **** does that have to do with hood shocks?

he has been asking this question in other unrelated threads also
    1994 520i with M50 engine, manual transmission and air conditioner.
    VIN: GG45422

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast