GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nitrous oxide and the M30: deadly or doable?

Default Nitrous oxide and the M30: deadly or doable?

Okay, so I've seen those clips on Top Gear. You know the ones. They put nitrous in a 20-year-old Jaguar or a diesel Golf and it slays supercars. (Really, if you haven't seen it, they've got a clapped-out XJ-S and a diesel Mk2 Golf into the low 13s with no other mods except for binning the interior. The two cars outdragged a 996 911 Turbo and an NSX, respectively.)

I want my engine to last a long time, and I know those guys on Top Gear don't care if it lasts five minutes, but is any amount of nitrous safe for an unmodified M30?

I'm not an expert, but I figure that nitrous generates more power by adding more oxygen into the combustion chamber. Same, really, as a turbocharger. So of the M30 can handle small amounts of boost without modification (which it can), then can't it also handle some nitrous?

I don't want to go or kill my car, but even a 50-hp squirt would be a nice thing to have.

Or are there other downsides to using nitrous with the M30? Is installation/setup a major pain?

I want to know the pros and cons. It seems to me that a small shot of nitrous ought to be harmless, but I don't want to bet my engine on it.
    Last edited by Jay 535i; 03-31-2006 at 09:36 PM.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

the problem is good distribution through the manifold, most cheep nos systems are designed for "wet mainfolds" where they are designed to flow fuel and air evenly to all cylinders and a little more fuel and air (nos = oxidizer) from a single injector works good, the bmw uses a "dry manifold" that wasn't designed to deliver a fuel charge, imho the safest system would be one with a fuel/nos nozzle in every port just like the factory injectors, but that style of system is not cheep, easy to install or for small power increases, now people have run cheepo nos on 535s for years and i suppose a few melted pistons have resulted from pushing the limmits over the years, you just need to research what the safe limmit is for a cheep system and realize it's a dice roll
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Ironically - the BWW Enthusiasts guide - does an NOS install on an e28 535is. Got some decent numbers out of it.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

didn't say it wasn't possible

Quote Originally Posted by Derek A.
    Ironically - the BWW Enthusiasts guide - does an NOS install on an e28 535is. Got some decent numbers out of it.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

yea, I'd rather try it out on your car or something first. Might be able to tap some individuals into the intake runners?
    Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    didn't say it wasn't possible
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

shouldn't be too hard to thread some fogger nozzles into your m60 as it has that LT1 looking intake

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    yea, I'd rather try it out on your car or something first. Might be able to tap some individuals into the intake runners?

70 hp shot - netted a 1.22 sec quicker 0-60 time on the e28 car.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

yah i wouldn't run much over 50hp wet shot....

Bimminator Guest

Default Did you get a chance to do your valve job?

Hey Jay,

Did you do your valve job yet? Just wondering how it went if you did.

Shawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bimminator
    Hey Jay,

Did you do your valve job yet? Just wondering how it went if you did.

Shawn.
    Not yet. I ordered some new bolts for the oil spray bar. As soon as they arrive I'll tackle the job.

Thanks for the input guys. It sounds like a modest NOS shot might be doable, but I'll leave it for at least a few more months.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast