GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: First trans program

Default First trans program

Hey guys,

The car (95 525i) got it's first trans program after a rebuild. 700 miles on it. The thing is it drives and shifts normal.

It didn't come on while I was driving, though. When I switched off the ignition, it did the "dong" and then read out trans program. I started it (no trans program on check control anymore..)took it for a short drive and it couldn't duplicate the problem.

Any ideas on what could cause this? It seems wierd that it didn't come on while driving.
    Last edited by Hypr5; 03-31-2006 at 05:48 PM.

Mine did that for a while before the trans totaly self destructed. I was never able to duplicate it in the shop and the code it coughed up led me no where. Good luck, I would have the codes pulled just to be safe and create a paper trail if you have a problem down the road.

When you say yours did that for a while, do you mean that it came up frequently?

Also, after it started happening, how long did it take before your trans was gone? And lastly, in what way did it break?
    Thanks!

The shop who rebuilt it is responsible if it only went 700miles...
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Well what I'm wondering is if the computer "freaks out" sometimes.. because it was wierd that it did it after I shut off the car. I really don't get that. It didn't act wierd when I was driving it - ran perfectly fine... as soon as I saw that warning, i turned the key and started it again - and it was gone.

I'm so confused

It did it for about 6 months with no symptoms at first, then I started getting a slow shift into reverse, followed by reverse gear chatter at high throttle but never at low throttle. I made the mistake of waiting til it got bad enough to slip. As for what blew up, abuot everything, including the planetary gear and assosiated parts.

Default How good is your battery?

Low battery voltage will cause the trans program. For example, If you ran the radio too long while polishing the car with a weak battery could do it.

A lot of quick starts and stops such as moving the car around may affect it as well.

Perhaps the transmission electical connections are dirty or loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypr5
    Hey guys,

The car (95 525i) got it's first trans program after a rebuild. 700 miles on it. The thing is it drives and shifts normal.

It didn't come on while I was driving, though. When I switched off the ignition, it did the "dong" and then read out trans program. I started it (no trans program on check control anymore..)took it for a short drive and it couldn't duplicate the problem.

Any ideas on what could cause this? It seems wierd that it didn't come on while driving.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment