GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Hmmm, self-levelling suspension needs replacing...

Default Hmmm, self-levelling suspension needs replacing...

Hi all,

My self-levelling suspension needs replacing, I've priced it locally and it's about 1/4 the cost of the vehicle just for the parts (pair shocks). Has anyone changed their suspension to standard shocks and what was the loss in ride quality? How long do the self-levelling shocks last once they are renewed? I tend to feel that you don't buy this type of car to remove the high class suspension but the costs are quite prohibitive in my case. What are peoples thoughts.

Guys,

Thanks for your input. The shocks are leaking but still working fine, no loss of ride quality. The reservoir only needs topping up once every month or so, so it's not too bad. I figure it'll need doing in the next 12 months. Trying to work ut my options.
    Shogun; I'll get back to you with more info about the EDC and E32/E38 specs. Work is taking a lot of my time at the moment. I'm in Sydney, Australia by the way.
    AllGo'n'Show; the accumulators are the bulb shaped things the size of your fist located just in front of the rear axles.
    Last edited by redcoat; 04-06-2006 at 02:38 AM. Reason: More info

Which model and year are you driving? E32 or E38? Do you have self levelling with EDC or without? If EDC, which type? EDC I, II or III?
    Self levelling shocks last at least 100k miles and they are worth to be replaced.
    Why do you think they are to be replaced? Leaking? If not, what is the problem?
    Please fill out your profile more in detail, otherwise one cannot really help.
    And where do you live? Europe, USA, Asia, Oceania?
    Check prices at
    http://www.autohausaz.com/

I think the LAD system is great and well worth the cost of maintaining it. Figure it this way: the system hasn't likely needed maintenance in the past 17 years. Depending on what's bad (accumulators? struts themselves?) and a few other variables (salted roads affect brake lines), it wouldn't be unrealistic to expect another 17 years of service. That's a pretty good service life for what it is and what it costs new. Sure beats the heck out of most competitor systems.

best, whit

if the shocks are not leaking they are fine, usually the only thing that needs to be replaced is the accumulators at a couple hundred, bad acc's will make the back end real stiff with little or no give, i actually have a good used set of e32 edc/lad shocks from a 80k mile car, those gotta suck to buy new as the non edc stuff is hideously expensive
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

ooooo so no leaking = struts good just need accumilators? Damn good thing I looked into this. I don't see my struts leaking but my LAD is showing up on dash and the rear end sinks alot with full tank of gas. Tried just adjusting the arm, no luck.

Where are these accumilators located?
    LAD any good for Lowering springs on the rear? Already got the springs but if I'm going to blow the rear shocks out right away then I won't put the rears in.