GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which turbo???

Default Which turbo???

The time has come to decide on which turbo to go with for my E34 (M20)....
    I've decided a T3 flange size, air-cooled, and been quoted on a garrett turbo (AUD$1400)
    Does anyone know what KKR turbo's are like? Seen similar specs to the garrett i was quoted going for AUD$800...

Get an M30 first... then a turbo!!

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Quote Originally Posted by pundit
    Get an M30 first... then a turbo!!
    whats wrong with an M20 turbo?

not enough air flow to get that big turbo working hard!

Quote Originally Posted by luke01
    whats wrong with an M20 turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    not enough air flow to get that big turbo working hard!
    C'mon guys.... Don;t be so nally. M20s are good engines, just smaller. Ideal cadidates for turbos too, and they are more efficient than their bigger, older cousins... Luke, KKK are good turbos, the factory setups are hard to beat if you have reliability and longevity in mind rather than stunningly bright performance for a short time... I'd go with a factory setup if I did it, but it is easier to play perhaps with an M20. Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but why are nearly all of the turboed e34s that are documented online m30s? Luke may want to know. I dont think i have ever read about a 530i or 540i. Perhaps this is because the m30 is so over engineered in the first place that it can withstand boost pressures at which other engines would blow apart?
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

i've seen a few supercharged 540's around, there was a guy named JimmyZ that had a black/black one. he got banned from bf.c though or something. last i saw of his car was on the eurowerkz california site

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    Sorry to go a bit off topic, but why are nearly all of the turboed e34s that are documented online m30s? Luke may want to know. I dont think i have ever read about a 530i or 540i. Perhaps this is because the m30 is so over engineered in the first place that it can withstand boost pressures at which other engines would blow apart?
    This is mainly because of how bulletproof the M30 design is, single overhead cam with semi-large displacement and a rock-solid bottom end pretty much make it the perfect candidate.

There's a guy andrew (i think) on here with a turbo M30 pushing 350+ rwhp with 220k miles on a completely factory motor. How many other engines do you know that can handle that?
    1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan

3k oil changes | Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | EAT Chip

I agree, the M20 is a good little engine to turbo. I have had alot of fun with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    C'mon guys.... Don;t be so nally. M20s are good engines, just smaller. Ideal cadidates for turbos too, and they are more efficient than their bigger, older cousins... Luke, KKK are good turbos, the factory setups are hard to beat if you have reliability and longevity in mind rather than stunningly bright performance for a short time... I'd go with a factory setup if I did it, but it is easier to play perhaps with an M20. Nick
    M20 525/7 Bore: 84.50mm Stroke 81mm CR 8.5:1, blue printed/dyno & custom chip. Boost @ 6.5psi ~246hp @ 5300rpm / torque @ 269ftlbs. @ 4250rpm

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveMPower
    This is mainly because of how bulletproof the M30 design is, single overhead cam with semi-large displacement and a rock-solid bottom end pretty much make it the perfect candidate.

There's a guy andrew (i think) on here with a turbo M30 pushing 350+ rwhp with 220k miles on a completely factory motor. How many other engines do you know that can handle that?

No its not - its because the M30 was available since like late 1970 Andrews motor is blown.

PS what the hell is an aircooled turbo?

BigKriss - A T3 is perfect size for any 2.5L engine. We run a T3/T04E on a 3.0L engine and its actually too small for what we want to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast