GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

View Poll Results: BMW e34 Suspension Underbuilt?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes Underbuilt - leads to chronic shimmy & problems

2 11.11%
  • Light Suspension - shimmy is from responsiveness

3 16.67%
  • No - Just right. Responsive & Durable.

12 66.67%
  • Best suspension out there. None better

1 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: underbuilt BMW e34?

Default underbuilt BMW e34?

Ok....Here are the facts. I have replaced pretty much every part in my suspension sans the rear shocks (which are next).

I have always had a problem with the shimmy, and my new brembo CD&Slotted rotors seem to have warped within 5,000 miles.

My question, is that I have read that the suspension was intentionally built light to be more responsive. Does "built light" mean under-built?

I have 18" rims with 235/40/18 tires. I expect some tire wear, squirliness by the steering on uneven pavement, and a rough ride.....

BUT I DON'T expect my repair man to tell me that I have to take my kick-ass wheels off to get the shimmy & toe problems out!

I guess what I am asking for is a no-BS assesment of the undercaraige of the e34. Will I ever get ride of the shimmy, and what's up with these rotors? Has this happened to anyone else?

By the way. I love my e34.
    A Young Man with a Plan
    ericbendler@yahoo.com

I havent really looked at the suspension very closely, but i think they may have sacrificed some long term durability for pure performance. Generally BMW doesnt do this though (look at the m30 engine, for example).
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

i think you are asking alot for a car engineered to ride on 16 inch wheels to perform perfect with 18 inch wheels nice wheels btw

I run 60 series tyres on stock 15 inch bottlecaps and the ride and handling is perfect.

Stock rules !

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

the wheels themselves may be contributing.Are they straight,round and of the correct fitment ie offset and hub bore...my tyre man told me to expect to bend wheels and to do more than normal maintenance on the suspension if i run my 17 inch wheels..If you run plus two there will be issues you are running plus three....
    Gone but not forgotten

Yep! 65 profiles on bottle caps. Smoothe as silk and not an ounce of shimmy.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

I don't think you can blame the E34's suspension as such.

If yours is lowered (which it looks like) then that will increase the negative camber in the rear & accelerate tyre wear on the outside. Big wheels with low profile tyres will suffer even worse wear from any misalignment & won't absorb the rough stuff as well as cushy 15's. Assuming nothing is bent or out of round then camber adjusters will help solve tyre wear problems.

Bigger wheels and lowering springs will create other problems that aren't necessarily the fault of the E34's suspension design which I wouldn't describe as 'underbuilt'.
    Since I fitted 17" 'T' Stars to mine I'm definately more in touch with every bump, shimmy & rattle... not as forgiving as them old 15" basketweaves and the rest of my suspension is standard.

I'm considering fitting some Eibach Prokit springs to mine but not until I investigate camber adjusters and whether or not I can get out of my drive without scraping the underneath. I intend getting 40,000kms out of a set of tyres (with sensible driving) so lowering springs without camber correction is just a stupid concept unless you dig buying two sets of tyres every twelve months.

A solid (non indepedent) rear axle will prevent camber induced tyre wear but hey... they're definately 'underbuilt'!

I didn't vote because I think it's basically a dumb poll.
    Last edited by pundit; 03-30-2006 at 05:21 AM.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Default lowered and 18" wheels-wrong!

IMO,this is asking for trouble all around. Front and rear suspension geometry changed due to lowering, harder riding tires etc. Why not replace all the bushings with hard plastic and metal while you are at it.

Seriously, Have you replaced any/all of the steering components including idler arm components. Also, there may be some rear steering due to worn bushings or dog bones in the rear suspension. Not sure you have done anything there.

Yes, IMO, the suspension require more and expensive upkeep than a typical car. That I do not like.

Quote Originally Posted by ericbendler
    Ok....Here are the facts. I have replaced pretty much every part in my suspension sans the rear shocks (which are next).

I have always had a problem with the shimmy, and my new brembo CD&Slotted rotors seem to have warped within 5,000 miles.

My question, is that I have read that the suspension was intentionally built light to be more responsive. Does "built light" mean under-built?

I have 18" rims with 235/40/18 tires. I expect some tire wear, squirliness by the steering on uneven pavement, and a rough ride.....

BUT I DON'T expect my repair man to tell me that I have to take my kick-ass wheels off to get the shimmy & toe problems out!

I guess what I am asking for is a no-BS assesment of the undercaraige of the e34. Will I ever get ride of the shimmy, and what's up with these rotors? Has this happened to anyone else?

By the way. I love my e34.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Ok, A couple of answers.

Dogbones, thrust arms, control arms, tie rods, & rotors replaced.

I don't mean to push that it is underbuilt for 18's. I have heard from my mechanic and a couple of articles that it is on the verge of underbuilt due to it's performance characteristics.
    A Young Man with a Plan
    ericbendler@yahoo.com

Dogbones, thrust arms, control arms, tie rods, & rotors replaced.
    I am replacing much of that on my recently aquired 525iT, if only because of the age of the original components (car has 85k).

It is rock solid, with no shimmy or vibration. Even with its new M5 wheels and 235/45/17" tires.
    1995 525iT
    2002 330i
    E30 325iX - gone
    E28 528e - gone