GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: unexplainable leak

Default unexplainable leak

Hi everyone. I have a little deal that I will like to solve. i got a '95 525i, auto. The problem is that is leaking oil around the area of the dipstick goes into the oil pan. I replaced the "O" ring but the leaks continues. I tried a number of times just to find out that it continues to leak. The last time I took all the TB and brackets/hoses off the way to insure that the dipstick will go on straight and to avoit braking the ring. Also check the oil pan for any burrs that could cause the seal to fail and found nothing. Installed the ringwith dipstick tube, with plenty of lubrication and assembly everything back together. Lasted about two days before it happened again. Have done this same procedure a number of times just to end up with the same result. Is there something I'm missing or is there a trick to this??? I even smoothed out the dipstick where the ring seats to eliminate any possibility, to no avail... Any sugestions??? TIA, Dave.

sure it's not the oil filter housing gasket? they crap all over that area when they go
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Is it seating all the way in the hole? From what I remember, it sets with a thunk, but it's been a few months since I've done one. You've got the procedure, though. Are the O rings from the dealer or ? Are the failing ones cut?

best, whit

I have checked all around the oil filter and is not from there. I pressure washed all that area and after driving around the block, you can see that is comming from the dipstick. The O rings are from the dealer and I think that they start loving me, I have bought about six of them so far. Maybe I should change the dipstick itself, I dunno. I can see or find out anything wrong with it. When installing this thing it feels nice and tight, so I'm really baffle about this. All the rings that fail are cut, some come out in three pieces (two cuts) on each. I have lube them prior installation with oil, grease and even vaseline!! ( on each different one, not the same one) to no avail....