GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installed 3.64 LSD today. Transformation!

Default Installed 3.64 LSD today. Transformation!

Got a 3.64 LSD a while back and finally got it installed in my 535 today. What a transformation. This is the best mod I have done yet. Really a nice upgrade and not too wild. About a 5% increase over the 3.46 but the LSD just makes it shoot out of corners and gives plenty of confidence for hole shots. Short shifts like a dream and 3rd gear around town pulls like a freight train.

This came out of a 90 735 according to the seller and I had to change the input flange. No problem. Couple hours a good portion of which was cleaning. Of course, this was on a lift and that does make the job easier.

I'm having a lot of fun with this thing. Took a drive tonight for the first time in years that I was not listening to music while driving. Just listening to that big six and that Hartge exhaust.

Mike Holbrook
    89 535im

Mike, I am lovin' my 3.64lsd. It seems to only be noticeable around town with the extra grunt. The highway difference isn't there, for me. I still think anything lower would make 1st gear useless.
    erased due to slander

Default Spring is doing bad things to me--

So let me just confirm a few things -

Your 3.64 came from a '90 735 - was that an automatic? They are easy enough to find.... And the only thing that had to be changed was the input flange? Doesn't sound too bad......

I got my summer tires mounted on the Throwing Stars yesterday, brandy-new set of S-03's. Bought them through the little local guy in town, they didn't quite match the TireRack price ($194 vs $179) but they were real happy to get the business, and I like my money staying local. They were careful with the rims, have road-force speed balancing (one needed to be shifted on the wheel, but none of them needed more than 3/4 oz of balance) and were pretty excited to be putting on such a high-end tire, even if the sidewall was a bitch.

Since we got another 6 inches of snow over the course of the past week, I'm not putting them on the car for a bit, but the long range shows us getting above freezing permanently in a week or so..... Can't wait......

Quote Originally Posted by mholbrook
    Got a 3.64 LSD a while back and finally got it installed in my 535 today. What a transformation. This is the best mod I have done yet. Really a nice upgrade and not too wild. About a 5% increase over the 3.46 but the LSD just makes it shoot out of corners and gives plenty of confidence for hole shots. Short shifts like a dream and 3rd gear around town pulls like a freight train.

This came out of a 90 735 according to the seller and I had to change the input flange. No problem. Couple hours a good portion of which was cleaning. Of course, this was on a lift and that does make the job easier.

I'm having a lot of fun with this thing. Took a drive tonight for the first time in years that I was not listening to music while driving. Just listening to that big six and that Hartge exhaust.

Mike Holbrook
    89 535im

3.64 on the highway seems to make the car run more effort free. Iim running about 80 at 3k rpm or a bit more. First gear is nearly perfect as it launches like it was shot out of a cannon. Reminds me of driving an M3 except for the cramped feeling. In 5th it still has good response for passing without downshifting. Next to the chip, this is the best modification I have made and I have just about everything external right now.

Mike

can 3.64 go into an automatic 530iT?

stupid question I bet

Default it could - iirc the 530 has a 3.15 rear or

something similarly highway geared. the problem with making such a large change in a 530 auto is that first gear in that 5 speed ZF autobox is so short to begin with, you'd wind it out immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by 530iTouring
    can 3.64 go into an automatic 530iT?

stupid question I bet

Default My 3.64lsd came out of early 525 5 speed.

The 525 might be a preferred donor car as it has less torque to wear out the differential.
    erased due to slander

Default 530iT comes with 3.23; 530iA sedan has 3.15

530iM sedan has 3.07
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

Default Here's a fairly complete list of ratio's

My 530i dont have a 3:64 or 3:73 I guestimate a 3:00-3:23 is closer when I spun the tire on a jack.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast