GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm installing some new "heavy duty" swaybar links

Default I'm installing some new "heavy duty" swaybar links

I got them from a group buy over on mye28.com recently. I can only do the front ones becasue the rear ones are for an aftermarket swaybar (the mounting holes) and I'm still running the stock 15mm item. They are adjustable, I haven't installed them yet, it took a long time to remove the stock links - the upper nut that attaches to the strut was hard to remove. They were usd$90 delivered for front and rear and the seller Ely has been extremely helpful. Actually shipping was basically free becasue I know it cost him usd$20 to send them to me, but he didn't charge me anything for it I'm on a lunch break now and when they are installed I'll put some more pics up.

Here are some pics;

wow, those look really sturdy in comparison to the OEM links. I always thought the factory links looked a bit spindly. Be sure to tell us how they work!
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Well I finally had them installed and now they keep on clunking on me. this really gets me annoyed. I made certain that they are on tight, especially the nut on the strut. I torqued them under load the first time and took the car for a drive, clunk, clunk clunk I then reinstalled them to a shorter length but didn't torque the nuts under load and they are still clunking. I'm thinking the threads on the swaybar links are a bit smaller than stock, and this is causing the noise as the car moves around. Stock uses 17mm nuts while the aftermarket ones use 14mm nuts. I want to use them, but I won't be putting up with the noise.

Edit: The front swaybar links are common across many cars including the e28. I don't know why its clunking.

cool. no worries - I got the 2nd length ones about 1,3" drop on my springs, the clunking was not there with the stock swaybar links. the mounts are fine also.

I tried adjusting them to almost full length to start off with, but the swaybar seemed too low to the ground, not much clearence so the second time I installed them, I made them as short as possible. I'm pretty sure the adjusters are tight.

hmm. I will do some more checking tommorrow.
    Last edited by BigKriss; 03-27-2006 at 04:03 AM.

Hum this is odd, Your the first person to have the clunking issue, I wonder if the bar is hitting something in the suspension. I have these links on my daily driver e30, and a friend is running them every day on an E28, plus all the ones I've sold on mye28.com
    Please let me know if you find the issue and I'll help you correct it as the clunking isn't acceptable and shouldn't be happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    Well I finally had them installed and now they keep on clunking on me. this really gets me annoyed. I made certain that they are on tight, especially the nut on the strut. I torqued them under load the first time and took the car for a drive, clunk, clunk clunk I then reinstalled them to a shorter length but didn't torque the nuts under load and they are still clunking. I'm thinking the threads on the swaybar links are a bit smaller than stock, and this is causing the noise as the car moves around. Stock uses 17mm nuts while the aftermarket ones use 14mm nuts. I want to use them, but I won't be putting up with the noise.

Edit: The front swaybar links are common across many cars including the e28. I don't know why its clunking.

cool. no worries - I got the 2nd length ones about 1,3" drop on my springs, the clunking was not there with the stock swaybar links. the mounts are fine also.

I tried adjusting them to almost full length to start off with, but the swaybar seemed too low to the ground, not much clearence so the second time I installed them, I made them as short as possible. I'm pretty sure the adjusters are tight.

Ely Wineland

Kriss, those look to be a bit longer than the stockers. check for interferance when the car is up on ramps, it mat be hitting something. Also if they are real tight they shouldnt be moving around in the swaybar.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Ya they are designed to be longer then stock. When you lower the car, the way the bar mounts it pulls the end of the bar upward, Here is an extreme example on my e30

The longer link pushed the bar back down. I'm thinking the links are hitting something also, On my car when I jack it up the link hits the control arm but never does under driving.
    Ely Wineland

Quote Originally Posted by rs4pro3
    Ya they are designed to be longer then stock. When you lower the car, the way the bar mounts it pulls the end of the bar upward, Here is an extreme example on my e30 The longer link pushed the bar back down. I'm thinking the links are hitting something also, On my car when I jack it up the link hits the control arm but never does under driving.
    THe threads are the same diameter are they not regardless of the nut size? Perhaps the larger (stock) nut gives it more purchase on the mount and stops movement between the thread to mounting. I suggest using a large flat washer in any suspicious areas, but it doesn;t sound right to me, what a weird issue. I doubt it is hitting something unless its in the swaybar mounts (perhaps now they are twisting differently and exhibiting a noise somehow. Weird! bad luck Kriss, what a PITA!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Yup, that can happen with these type of swaybar links. I do recommend them if you are going to do track driving because they won't break off like stock lnks can. They are durable, but they are not designed for noise comfort. The clunking you are hearing is probably from the play in the bearing. I have researched many many types of rod ends for this type of set-up and there are nylon, teflon and metal. Nylon is the weakest, Teflon lasts longer and can withstand more load, the metal is very durable, but needs to be constantly lubricated. They can all withstand the load of the sways and then some, but nobody guarantees the amount of play in them. I would go under neath the car and check for bearing race play especially since you said that the thread is on there tight.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss

Brandon J

I recomended for him to try some washers so we'll see if that fixes the problem or not, the ones for his E34 are the first I've done(front links are the same as E28 but rear's are different).
    Ely Wineland

The threads are the same diameter are they not regardless of the nut size?
    Ya they are very close to the same diameter of the factory ones.
    Ely Wineland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast