GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 115K mile, 92 M50 cooling system overhaul.

Default 115K mile, 92 M50 cooling system overhaul.

So with a 2000mi road trip comming up and feeling like i’ve running on borrowed time cause i don’t know if the plastic pump has been updated.
    I already have the parts, but also some concerns.
    Got my aluminum thermo housing, new rad, hoses, 75C thermo. I am worried tho bout the pump.
    It’s a GEBA, it feels slightly stiff turning and more troubling is that the metal impeller has aquired a slight patina of rust. Bought everything last year as i had no indication that the pump has been changed since new.
    Should i get another pump? A friend had suggested PB blasting the impeller then cleaning it before install.
    Also the thermo has no bleed hole or jiggle valve, should i drill a little hole?

Any other ideas, comments, smacks upside head?
    TIA

93 SE-R---94 530iT&A---92 325i ….”Hang up & Drive!”
    ”It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error;
    It is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error."--Robert H. Jackson.

Default Yes Paul, you should get another pump and send that rusty one to

me.... I will dispose of it properly for you..
    Think of that patina as a protective layer of oxidation and don't worry about it. I wouldn't bother with the pb blaster either. Since bleeding isn't usually a problem on the m50 I wouldn't worry about drilling a hole in the thermostat..otherwise if it really bothers you I would go get one from the dealer with the jiggle/check valve...

Quote Originally Posted by paul p (chi-town)
    So with a 2000mi road trip comming up and feeling like i’ve running on borrowed time cause i don’t know if the plastic pump has been updated.
    I already have the parts, but also some concerns.
    Got my aluminum thermo housing, new rad, hoses, 75C thermo. I am worried tho bout the pump.
    It’s a GEBA, it feels slightly stiff turning and more troubling is that the metal impeller has aquired a slight patina of rust. Bought everything last year as i had no indication that the pump has been changed since new.
    Should i get another pump? A friend had suggested PB blasting the impeller then cleaning it before install.
    Also the thermo has no bleed hole or jiggle valve, should i drill a little hole?

Any other ideas, comments, smacks upside head?
    TIA

93 SE-R---94 530iT&A---92 325i ….”Hang up & Drive!”
    ”It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error;
    It is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error."--Robert H. Jackson.