GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for new control arms?

Default Time for new control arms?

I am trying to decide if following the contours in the road is the result of deteriorating control arms or the Dunlop tires that came with the car. I do not have the other symptoms of bad control arms yet such as poor handling or a 55mph shimmy. Since it rolled past 129k Friday, I guess the mileage is right for replacement.

I see that a lot of you replaced the springs along with the control arms. Is this because they actually go bad, or is it an upgrage?
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

My 89 had 225/65/15 dunlops which were worn, no bad, but was scary on certain roads.
    I replaced the thrust arms which helped but new tires really made a difference. You may be able to eyeball the bushing and look for rips as you could see them on my old ones.
    89 525, 86 jetta diesel, 07 wrx with mods, 06 commander
    1 mean wife, 2 daughters, 1 bull mastiff. At least the jetta
    is cheap to keep up.

These Dunlops looked almost new when I got the car, but the front end was out of alignment and the 1100 mile drive home cupped the tread a bit. The tires were rotated and reversed when I had it aligned.

I use 'control arms' to refer to both the control arms and the thrust arms. Am I correct in assuming that they both need to be replaced? If not, which one goes first? On the E28 I found it was cheaper to replace both at the same time instead of getting two alignments within 20k miles but those arms were about $50 each. Who has the best deal on these (Lemforders)? Also, I assume since I have seen no one post about this that the ball joints cannot be replaced in the arms? I have a 4lb hand sledge leftover from replacing the balljoints on the Mercedes.
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

Any 540s with replacement springs? Upgrade or maintanence?

JohnTee and a few other people have replaced springs and shocks on their 540. I'm shopping for shocks and springs now, among other things. Someone will respond to you soon
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

springs are upgrade to lower the car, dont use BAW or Voghtland springs as the V8 will be too low.
    Quote Originally Posted by zhandax
    Any 540s with replacement springs? Upgrade or maintanence?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I'd start with the 'control arms' and the steering linkage. Changing both should tighten up your steering a lot. And don't forget the 'nut behind the wheel'.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Do you recommend doing all 4 plus the tie rods at the same time?

hey where is the nut behind the wheel what size is it use a ratchet for it

Quote Originally Posted by zhandax
    Do you recommend doing all 4 plus the tie rods at the same time?
    Unless you have money to burn, I would recomend finding out what part is bad and replacing that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast