GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost keyless entry

Default Lost keyless entry

Actually not lost, just never received in a used car transaction. I am just getting to know ny 95 525i, and pulled the rear seat to check out the battery and connections etc. under there when I noticed the BMW keyless entry box under there as well.
    How do I go about getting a replacement unit so I can use it?
    Thanks!

You should be able to find replacement 'keyfobs' on ebay-- that is the remote for the keyless entry, and security system. I have a 95 525,too,,and if i remember while reading the factory book ref: the keyless entry,,,,you might have to reprogram a new keyfob, to the codes on your box, under the seat,,,Im sure that soon, many folks in here, that have direct knowledge, will post to you.
    Regards--
    Art.

Default check bmwe34.net

Quote Originally Posted by shelldrake
    How do I go about getting a replacement unit so I can use it?
    Thanks!
    Bruno has directions on his website:

This would be the reprogram of a new remote...
    http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...rog_remote.htm

And this is replacing the entire remote system...
    http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Upgrade/KeylessEntry.htm

Now I feel sily. When I looked on eBay I saw a simple key thathas the remote door button on it, and I have one of those keys. Mow I need to find why that does not work. Off to replace the battery in the key 1st.
    How bout after that? Fuses somewhere? Reset button?
    Thanks for the help.

When you get the new battery you will find that you are holding a tiny flashlight built into the key. The key w/ alarm button is for later cars. The Alarm fob you want is the rectangular three button type, the dealer gets about 135 USD for them, half that on the bay of E.

There's a non-BMW fob on Ebay for about 50 bucks but I don't know anything about them.

Good luck,

John
    1995 525im

Saved me a trip to the store for a battery, thanks.
    This the one I am looking for?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bmw-E...spagenameZWDVW

Shelldrake----- no worries,,,, what does your key look like?,,,mean to say,,,,in the 95 year,,,BMW went to a EWS system,,,,,,what does your original key look like? Is it just a pushbutton to light a flashlight, or does the key itself have the remote buttons----if not,,,,then you are missing the keyfob
    ie,,,,my early 95 525,,,has only the key that has only a little flashlight,,,(no buttons on the key for arming or disarming),,mine are on a septate keyfob....
    and those keyfobs are readily available on Flea Bay---just have to match up the code on the unit under your back seat,,,,to the new fob.
    Was about 95,,,,or so i can tell,,that BMW went from the keyfob remote,,,to the key that had the remote componnents--(sometning i dont have direct knowledge about,,but many on here do.)
    There is a factory BMW publication that speaks to programming a remote to the mou8nted unit under the back seat,,,,,,others on here can, I am sure, direct you to that.

Dont get the key,,that has the three buttons on it that is for late 95+--on up to e39 5's,,,,,,wont work in your 95,,,,you need the rectangular fob,,,,the fob has the three buttons on it,,,,,,and in later threads on this post,,,you will learn how to re program your new fob to your car.

That's it. They do have a habit of breaking where one of the two the tiny screws secures the two halfs together, the female plastic part gives out where the keyring goes through, can be fixed w/ JB weld but you should ask condition if going fleabay route.

BR,

John

PS, concerning EWS system on our later 1995 525 cars, you can tell by a raised ring around the ingnition keyhole, which denotes the more advanced EWS system presence. I'm not sure how this affects compatability w/ 3 button remotes, they have been around from 1989 5 series I think.

Default Do you have the car's manuals?

My package of books and manuals has seperate instructions for how to program the key fobs. Also make sure you have the radio key code somehere. If not you will be in for a hassle at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetr
    Dont get the key,,that has the three buttons on it that is for late 95+--on up to e39 5's,,,,,,wont work in your 95,,,,you need the rectangular fob,,,,the fob has the three buttons on it,,,,,,and in later threads on this post,,,you will learn how to re program your new fob to your car.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast