GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changed Intake manifold gaskets...vehicle will not run..please help.

Default Changed Intake manifold gaskets...vehicle will not run..please help.

I have a 1994 BMW 540I. I changed the Intake Manifold Gaskets,EGR valve,EGR gasket and the two fuel lines. My vehicle will start but it cuts off immediately. I did not have this problem prior to changing the parts. I replaced the fuel pump,fuel filters, and the oxygen sensors approximately nine months ago. My vehicle acts like it's out of gas but it's not. Can any of you guys help me? Thanks in advance!

Well, there is no EGR valve or gasket on any M60.

No start issues after resealing the intake have been discussed a lot in the past.

Get a multimeter on the battery to determine if the thing is charging when the engine is running. Will it continue running if it gets a little gas?

If the gaskets are all properly seated and there are no air leaks, oil return pipe from the pcv plate is properly installed and the O rings are good, I'll suspect that an electrical harness connector wasn't reinstalled correctly -- I've done it myself.

best, whit

id guess the connections are fubarred or you messed up with the oil drain back vacumm tube under the intake. Id bet on the electrical section.

Go over it close, the injector plugins and the coil packs. You did disconnect the battery cable right? maybe you cracked the fusable link?

Something stupid is wrong, you'll figure it out, and post if you did or didnt.

Good luck.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

The EGR valve is another name for PCV plate. I replaced the PCV plate and the Pcv gasket. My car was running fine prior to changing the manifold gaskets, but the check engine light would come on occasionally about once a week. My battery is approximately six months old and it is charging properly. The Oil pipe is connected properly to Pcv plate with a new O-ring. I disconnected battery prior to removing the engine cover. I labeled the electrical wires prior to removing them and reconnected them exactly like they were. I can keep my car running for approximately one minute by pressing on the accelerator a lightly. As soon as I take my foot off the accelerator the engine cuts off immediately. I noticed two of the fuel injectors are missing the o-rings and the plastic tips on the bottom of them. Could this be my problem?

Default Start there

Missing O-Rings!!??
    Start with the injectors. That could be the problem.
    I'd pull all 8 of them and send them to:

http://www.witchhunter.com/

They do great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dway540
    The EGR valve is another name for PCV plate. I replaced the PCV plate and the Pcv gasket. My car was running fine prior to changing the manifold gaskets, but the check engine light would come on occasionally about once a week. My battery is approximately six months old and it is charging properly. The Oil pipe is connected properly to Pcv plate with a new O-ring. I disconnected battery prior to removing the engine cover. I labeled the electrical wires prior to removing them and reconnected them exactly like they were. I can keep my car running for approximately one minute by pressing on the accelerator a lightly. As soon as I take my foot off the accelerator the engine cuts off immediately. I noticed two of the fuel injectors are missing the o-rings and the plastic tips on the bottom of them. Could this be my problem?
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

missing O rings???

also there are 2 plugs one for the AFM and the other for who knows what but they can be plugged into each other. Maybe you swapped them?

O rings huh?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Dway540
    The EGR valve is another name for PCV plate.
    No it's not.

The part number for the EGR valve; Rear cover with Non-Return Valve is 11 617 501 562. It is the same as the original part that I removed. I do not know whether it is a Pcv plate or an EGR valve or a rear manifold cover. I plan get new o-rings for fuel injectors and get them cleaned. I know that all the electrical wires are installed properly because I labeled them prior to disconnecting them. I really appreciate all the info that I've received. I will keep you guys posted.

just get new injectors from http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_Sets.asp
    they also come with new o-rings
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Default Injectors BEFORE and AFTER Refurb

Injector BEFORE refurb:

Injector AFTER refurb:
    Cleaned, tested and calibrated to within 1%, new O rings and caps

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    just get new injectors from http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_Sets.asp
    they also come with new o-rings
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast