GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Wiper blade vibration at high speeds

Default Wiper blade vibration at high speeds

I have been troubleshooting a rattle (vibration) noise from the windshield area on my ‘95 525i sedan. I get it when traveling over 60 mph and it can get pretty loud. It all started when I replaced the wiper blades last month (forget the manufacturer of the blade.) The noise will continue until I slow down and also weakens when I follow (draft) a semi-truck.

Of course, when I wipe the windshield the noise goes away so I am pretty sure the wiper arm is rattling either on the hood or on the windshield. I tightened the nuts holding the wiper arms down, and then noticed the passenger side arm: at its rest position, it was tucked under the hood a little bit. I repositioned it to sit out from under the hood about 2mm. It noise persisted. Eventually I took the passenger arm off and the drivers arm made the rattle. The only part of the wiper that touches the windshield is the rubber blade, I can’t imagine how something is vibrating on the windshield. Anyway the noise is still present. I was thinking about purchasing the Bosch wiper blades with the thick cover, (see picture) hopefully it would deflect the wind a bit more, is the cover on the drivers side or passenger? Any other ideas?

I don't think that covered winter blade is the answer to the problem. Apparently your wipers are missing the airfoil that holds them down on the glass. I don't have a picture. Maybe realoem has something. You might need a trip to the yard to find a set from a wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by SRR2
    I don't think that covered winter blade is the answer to the problem. Apparently your wipers are missing the airfoil that holds them down on the glass. I don't have a picture. Maybe realoem has something. You might need a trip to the yard to find a set from a wreck.
    airfoil? Here are the parts from realoem:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...01&hg=61&fg=45

I was thinking the blade cover might help suppress the wind on the wiper and therefore the vibration.

If you replaced the wiper blades (and not just the inserts) with non OEM parts (anco are the ones I see all the time -- typically junk), pull the OE blades out of the trash and replace the inserts. OEM inserts are cheap and the blades last a long time. People try this low rent move of picking up a set of "replacement" blades from autozone/advance/krogen or the like and then make the mistake of pitching the OEM parts.

So, if you don't have OEM blades, get them back or buy new ones.

best, whit

Default Its very common, its not the wiper blade, its the cowling below, follow the

instructions here

Quote Originally Posted by SchnellE34
    I have been troubleshooting a rattle (vibration) noise from the windshield area on my ‘95 525i sedan. I get it when traveling over 60 mph and it can get pretty loud. It all started when I replaced the wiper blades last month (forget the manufacturer of the blade.) The noise will continue until I slow down and also weakens when I follow (draft) a semi-truck.

Of course, when I wipe the windshield the noise goes away so I am pretty sure the wiper arm is rattling either on the hood or on the windshield. I tightened the nuts holding the wiper arms down, and then noticed the passenger side arm: at its rest position, it was tucked under the hood a little bit. I repositioned it to sit out from under the hood about 2mm. It noise persisted. Eventually I took the passenger arm off and the drivers arm made the rattle. The only part of the wiper that touches the windshield is the rubber blade, I can’t imagine how something is vibrating on the windshield. Anyway the noise is still present. I was thinking about purchasing the Bosch wiper blades with the thick cover, (see picture) hopefully it would deflect the wind a bit more, is the cover on the drivers side or passenger? Any other ideas?

Default Awesome

Thanks very much guys I will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by SchnellE34
    Thanks very much guys I will try that.
    Good post Bill!

You'll probably need to buy new cowling clips, they usually break when you remove them after taking off the wipers blades. They require needle-nose pliers btw.

Instead of foam tape BMW use black goo (urethane like stuff... except it sets sort of hard) at the factory. Either are good-foam tape is nicer but doens't last so long under there in the sun...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Default ok thanks

I will stop by the local stealership to pick those up and will let you guys know how it goes at the end of the week. Thanks again, you gents are very knowledgable and kind to us newbies.

Default No, actually bmw uses foam tape, thats a factory bulletin with the fix for the

rattle on the stock fastened down cowling.

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Good post Bill!

You'll probably need to buy new cowling clips, they usually break when you remove them after taking off the wipers blades. They require needle-nose pliers btw.

Instead of foam tape BMW use black goo (urethane like stuff... except it sets sort of hard) at the factory. Either are good-foam tape is nicer but doens't last so long under there in the sun...