GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Need M20 timing belt change advice...

Default Need M20 timing belt change advice...

When removing the 6 bolts that hold the lower drive belt pulley and vibration damper to the crankshaft, Bentley says:

"It may be necessary to immobilize the crankshaft with a combination wrench."

Will somebody tell me what a "combination wrench" is and how to use it to immobilize the crankshaft?

It appears since I have a late 1990(i) engine, I should not need to remove the crankshaft sprocket and hub mounting bolt, to change camshaft drive belt.

(This project is looming on the horizon for my 1990 325is.)

the 6 13mm bolts are not too tight, but if you can't pop em loose without the crank turning you can hold it with the 22mm bolt that holds the sprocket, which you do not need to remove unless the front crank seal is leaking (hardly ever)
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Thanks for this good info, Winfred...

My coolant is due next month, and timing belt due in November, so I'm planning to do both together within the next few months.

I like to read about jobs that are new to me and visualize and plan each step, in advance, so when the time comes, I have most of the tools ready, and it's almost like I've done it before (Because I have done it in my mind.).

QUOTE=winfred]the 6 13mm bolts are not too tight, but if you can't pop em loose without the crank turning you can hold it with the 22mm bolt that holds the sprocket, which you do not need to remove unless the front crank seal is leaking (hardly ever)[/QUOTE]