GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: broken lug bolt

freezin ass cold WI formerly freezin ass cold MN

Default broken lug bolt

So I took the snows off. On of of the rear wheels, One lug bolt broke- head snapped right off using the wrench from the trunk. Also one the holes is somehow stripped on the same hub. Bolt won't screw in. My question. I need to get an alignment becasue the new tires I put on last summer really wore fast on the outside edges. Go to the dealer for this or a tire store? I'm assuming they can fix the broken bolt and stripped hole too? All 4 wheels were also seixed to the hubs. Had to loosen the bolts and back it out of the driveway to pop them off. Any suggestion to keep this from happening next year. Coat the hubs with something?
    95 540 six speed, Rondell 58 wheels, nothin else special
    79 911 SC - pea soup green

Anti Seize Lubricant. You can get it at autozone. It's good for the spark plugs too.

Default bump

go to the dealer or to a tire place for alignment? thanks

Default Scott a number of places should be able to repair it, you can most likely

helicoil the stripped hole and drill out the broken bolt and retapp it.. The dealer will probably want to replace the whole hub.... and the antiseize he's talking about you put on the hub inbetween the wheel and hub..to keep the wheel from sticking.

Quote Originally Posted by scott540
    go to the dealer or to a tire place for alignment? thanks

Default Ahem...

new air tools and suddenly a lug busts and another strips??? LMAO!!! There is fixes, but man, take it easy on that stuff till you get whats goin on. still...lmao. Been ther done that. Thats too funny, especially since it's you, it wasnt funny at all when it was me.

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Yeah it sucks, but like I said, I was using the wrench from the trunk when the bolt broke. Same with stripped hole. Bolt came out but now olt won't go in. Either way it still sucks with a rear tire with only 3 bolts. The question was do I have the dealer do the alignment or a tire shop?

uhh...while you defend yourself..... why with air tools would you use the stock tire iron to unloosen the lugs. (dude im psychoanalizing your answers now)
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

kiddin man, try a die to chase the threads? on the other might have to smack it out to sink a new one in.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Default my defense

Ok, here's my weak defense. I took out 4 with the gun, left the last one in while I jacked up the car. Went turn on the music in the garage, tripped the breaker cause the compressor was running. Idiot who built my house used 15 amp breakers in the garage and the compressor takes every bit of it. I tried to use the gun on the last bolt but it wouldn't come out, I figured I didn't have enough air so I got out the wrench. one pull and the damn thing snapped.

Remember though the question was do I go to the dealer or tire store for alignment?

Unregistered Guest

Default Tire shop

I go to a tire store that has some fairly skilled techs who've been there a long time, not one of these tiny places with swarms of pimply faced kids. You could also see if there is an alignment shop in town that specializes in alignments.

I had an alignment in the fall at a tire shop, the car still tracks very straight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast