GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: weird electrical problem

Default weird electrical problem

The 535 has been acting strange of late. Starting three nights ago, I turned on the car, flipped on the wipers, and nothing happened. Then after 15 seconds the wipers turned on at hyper speed then died 5 seconds later in the middle on the windshield. The radio and OBC went out as well. I had somewhere I needed to go so I toughed it out w/out wipers (go rainX). About an hour later I was driving and suddnely the wipers, radio, and OBC just came back on.

Well I really dont like when things fix themselves, and sure enough last night the same thing happened, except this time everything + the windows dont work now. Any suggestions on what might be going wrong?

'90 535i
    UUC SSK, Bilstein shocks, Eibach spings, EAT chip, CAI, Super Sprint exhaust, Hella euro headlights, HID kit, M5 spoiler

Fusible link, the most common problem. A search should turn up many results. The are in different places depending on model year. Cost to fix, $.59

thank you

'90 535i
    UUC SSK, Bilstein shocks, Eibach spings, EAT chip, CAI, Super Sprint exhaust, Hella euro headlights, HID kit, M5 spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    Fusible link, the most common problem. A search should turn up many results. The are in different places depending on model year. Cost to fix, $.59

much thanks, the $tealer charged me $3 for it but I didnt care, it took a total of 8 minutes to take out the backseat, disconnect the battery, and put in the new fusible link. now I have windows, radio, wipers, and obc again

'90 535i

Ted, your sig pic is super sweet
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

thanks. once the pollen season is finally over I'll wash and wax her and get some decent pics. until this this will have to do

'90 535i

Quote Originally Posted by BigTed00
    much thanks, the $tealer charged me $3 for it but I didnt care, it took a total of 8 minutes to take out the backseat, disconnect the battery, and put in the new fusible link. now I have windows, radio, wipers, and obc again
    Glad to hear that was the problem and it is now fixed, I bought an extra one to insure that I would never need it, ya know how that works?

$3.00! Highway robbery!! Really a bargain at twice the price. When I went to get mine the parts guy looked at me like he never heard of such a thing, same guy I've dealt with for 10 years, had to show him in his book.

I've read strories of the $tealers service departments NOT knowing about this little fix and charging customers hundreds of $$$ to track down the "electrical gremlins".

It's the first problem I had after I bought my car which lead me here and found the fix from the resident experts, kept me coming back for more of their wisdom and foolishnes.

Thanks to all for sharing their wisdom, now I'm an expert on fusible links too.