GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pulling M50 engine..some advice please

Default pulling M50 engine..some advice please

Hello folks,

The engine (M50) in my 92 E34 sucked a valve at 275,000 miles.. darn!

Anyway I purchaced a low milage M50 engine and plan on putting it in this week.

The Bentley manual indicates that I'll need to remove the 5 spd transmission prior to pulling the engine. Is this absoutly nessesary?

Can anyone here advise me as to why the transmission needs to be removed first?

I do 100% of the work on all my cars, I'm not afraid of pulling the trans first, I just want to take a short cut.

Any comments?

Thanks

it will come out with the tranny atached
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Hi,

Thanks for the advice! Is it also possible to just pull the engine while leaving the transmission in place?

Basicly I would prefer to not remove the transmission from the car if it's not necessary. It would save some time and I'm slightly lazy.

Thanks

jim

Quote Originally Posted by fujioko
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice! Is it also possible to just pull the engine while leaving the transmission in place?

Basicly I would prefer to not remove the transmission from the car if it's not necessary. It would save some time and I'm slightly lazy.

Thanks

jim
    Since the engine has to go in at a slight angle, I would think it would be very hard to line up the spline properly without bending it or something.

Quote Originally Posted by fujioko
    Hi,

Thanks

jim
    It is far easier to line up the trany on the ground or in the car, than it is to line up the egine to the tranny. You won't save yourself anything by leaving it in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Jjcarr
    Since the engine has to go in at a slight angle, I would think it would be very hard to line up the spline properly without bending it or something.
    I removed the tranny during my swaps, but I don't see why one couldn't leave the tranny/driveshaft 'largely' intact. If you loosened the tranny mounts to allow some wiggle room and removed the engine mounts such that a minimum of upward movement would be necessary to dislodge them from the crossmember, I don’t see why you couldn’t swing the engine forward to safely disengage the input shaft.

On installation, I don't believe there is need to angle the engine in any particular way, unless you haven't removed the rad or other peripherals. Again, as long as you have the freedom to align 'stuff' (remove the rubber engine mounts entirely untill tranny is engaged?) you should be able to ram the engine properly into the tranny. I suppose one would have to use caution pushing a few hundred pounds of metal around, but maybe it would work

Someone tell us otherwise,

I’d like to know how it goes,

Dave M
    Last edited by Dave M; 03-20-2006 at 10:19 AM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Out of curiosity, if you're doing something this dramatic, does it make matters easier to remove the front grille and crossmember so that you have more room to work with? That way you could just slide the motor in and out, guess it depends on how big a pain removing the front is. It might also give you better visibility to ensure that everything is buttoned up right.

Gotta say though 275k on a stock motor is pretty cool, gotta love these M50's.

Default I took it out of my 525iT....

with the tranny attached. Just have everything else out of the way in front (radiator, fan/clutch, etc) to give yourself as much extra room as possible. Be prepared to angle the unit a decent amount (have a buddy or two around). It should work just fine.

Default Pull'n the engine

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll take a look at my e34 tonight and decide what may be best. Perhaps the short cut on pulling the engine wont save time on putting the engine back in the car. Hmmmm got to think this through. If I decide to do something unusual I update the thread.

thanks again!

yeah remove it with the trans, the trans is only in the car sitting on the trans support and drive shaft, undo the driveshaft, undo the cross member (put a jack there 1st ) and pull that heezy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast