GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any proof on E34's safety?

Default Any proof on E34's safety?

Hey guys,

I currently drive a 1988 Honda Prelude Si and I want to upgrade to a 1989 BMW E34 535iS (with ABS, no ASC, no airbag)

I'm all set to go but my parents are prohibiting me from buying this car as they believe that it's unsafe! I know personally that E34s are built like tanks and that they are pretty indestructable cars but my parents want conclusive proof of the E34's safety.

I've been searching all over the internet for crash tests of the E34 but I can't find any! And any safety information on it seems to be pretty unreliable (for example one place reckons an E30 gets a 4 star rating and the E34 gets a 3 star rating)

Does anyone have any proof of the E34's safety?

Thanks in advance,

PS: These forums look fantastic!

get a newer model with an airbag.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

proof of safety? the e34 had the shortest braking distance in it's class. and yeah it's built like a tank i hit a ****ing tree and walked away from it.

before that car i had an 89 accord, if i'd hit the same tree at the same speed, there's probly no way i'd be alive right now. my car did have an airbag though (knocked me out on impact, gave me a concussion, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

no abs? really?

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

you might try here. They say that they have research back to 1969 and can provide reports

http://www.iihs.org/research/default.html

if you feel like watching some crash tests of newer cars, it will convince you that nothing is safe

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...ght=crash+test
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

right. so they let u drive an 88 honda prelude SI at the momement eh and they bothered about the e34. wtf!

Forget what everyone else is saying, here's what's actually going on from a parent perspective:

1) We don't want you wasting more money on another car. The Honda is paid for and cheap to operate. A BMW is expensive and all your college money will be going to run it.

2) BMWs are big and powerful. You aren't responsible enough yet for such a car. When you're old enough and self-supporting then you can have any car you want and can afford. Right now, an old, cheap, low-powered Honda is right for you.

3) Our insurance bills are high enough already without a BMW on it.

4) Hmmm...We're not so sure about the message sent to the neighbors by our son driving a BMW.

5) Hmmm...Drug dealers drive BMWs

6) We need an excuse to sell the above. AHA! SAFETY!!

ROFL, too true srr2... everyone knows an e34 is safer than a tinfoil car, parents included! For years they've BMWs have been designed by professionals with International reputations for their work. Then a team of the world's best engineers spend the next year trying to blitz the safety tests (and succeed as they lead the market with similar people like Volvo.. ), and then they worry about planning production and doing the tests and marketing the thing.

By comparison the SE Asian manufacturers plan production before the designers finish the concept.

Also, the marketrs do a good job at selling the safety features and benefits- it is not done behind the scenes. Due to the benefit of their years our parents are more lilely to know this than us... Nick
    Last edited by genphreak; 04-06-2006 at 02:59 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

the number of accidents i have avoided thanks to superior braking and handling is a testament to the safety of the car.... as long as you know how to drive it when someone is about to hit you.
    Safety should be first and foremost avoiding the accident in the first place (if possible) and that comes with experience and a car that can perform in that kind of situation.
    If i was driving my friends 89 honda, i would probably be dead now. Im not saying they are unsafe, but they would take some modifying to handle at high speeds like a BMW can and will.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast