GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Immediate help on my 525 1992 follow-up

Default Immediate help on my 525 1992 follow-up

Hey Gang,

Ok...this is where we are...replaced the spark plugs, battery, have spark from engine so it does not appear to be electical. Ckd the crank shaft.....ok. Could this be a cracked head? Hubby was holding the gas down to start the car, well it turned over but did not start. Smelled gas, probably flooded it good......

1, How do I fix the flooding?
    2. Symptoms of a cracked head?
    3. Transprogram mode code
    4 check control code came on today

Help.....he wants to sell her....and I am having a cow.....

Thanks,
    Shirley

Help...where are all my new friends when I need them???? Tried the "stomp" test...can not get any codes to come up...dahh I know it is the timing of the blinking...but nothing.....

I am glad it is not a convertible....cuz with the weather in Atlanta.....I would be history today!!!!

Seriously.....I need help!!!

Default Do not hold down gas pedal to start. And...

Think you should check Crankshaft position sensor, and make the usual checks of the fuel delivery system. For this project, you will need a Bentley repair manual for guidance.

It really isn't good to let a car sit six months without driving. You probably have multiple problems to deal with. And when they happen all at once, things can get pretty "involved."

When's the last time the fuel filter was changed? Is all service up to date? If not, bring everything up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Saleswman525
    Hey Gang,

Ok...this is where we are...replaced the spark plugs, battery, have spark from engine so it does not appear to be electical. Ckd the crank shaft.....ok. Could this be a cracked head? Hubby was holding the gas down to start the car, well it turned over but did not start. Smelled gas, probably flooded it good......

1, How do I fix the flooding?
    2. Symptoms of a cracked head?
    3. Transprogram mode code
    4 check control code came on today

Help.....he wants to sell her....and I am having a cow.....

Thanks,
    Shirley

Default Why do you think you have a cracked head?...

Are you sure you have spark in the plugs? Are you sure you got fuel in the engine? God, fuel and spark should do something, even with a cracked head, does it or it is just dead?

This is my follow list for dead engine.

Check all related fuses, ignition, fuel System, DME, critical relays, ...

Bypass the fuel relay to hear the hissing produced by the pumped fuel on the injector rail pressure regulator. Though you referred flooding, may be you are leaking fuel somewhere but fuel is not circulating the injectors rail.

Check for spark in the plugs, hear recently that it is a hard thing to do on a 525 (I have a 535), but be creative, with an old sparkplug, it should be possible to connect a coil output to it, ground the plug threads and look for consistent spark while cranking.

Check for injectors operation, having fuel in the rail does not necessarily means it is reaching the engine, you may have no pulses to the injectors.

If pump is pumping and no spark. I would give highest priority to check the Crankshaft Position Sensor. With a tester, you should get about 400 to 600 ohms between two of the leads and an open circuit to the third lead running the shield. Normally, it is typically way off if damaged (Open circuit between all the leads or short circuit between any two of them). Take the opportunity and check also the Camshaft position sensor. Normally, the connectors are placed one besides the other.

Good luck

Check www.bmwe34.net for most of your troubleshooting (inlcuding trans program code.
    I hope hubby realises that losing the E34 is not worth a divorce....

Good luck
    Cheers,
    Trevor (Sydney)

E46
    00' 323iA (70,000 kms)

Javier,

I am just sick. We found spark to the plugs so that is ok. The car sat because it had a "trans code" and we were told it was the transmission. I bought if from a guy in Texas and had it shipped to Atlanta. I was prepared to figure out any tranny issue, but now I think it is more than that. It only has 100K on it and I thought it did not have anything other than the trans to worry about. But, I worry now that we have bought something more. From all the receipts with the car, it appears to be well taken care of. Hubby is an "american car" guy, but does know alot about cars....this is not making sense. If I have a cracked head or "ring" issues, it will be more than I can afford to fix.....I am just sick about it......I have always wanted a 525 and thought that this was going to be my own little red car....I dont know what to do but cry right now....sorry to be such a sissy.....but it seems when it rains it pours....

It was smoking from the tail pipe too, a little....not sure what that means.....either...

Any help would be appreciated.....

Shirley

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor
    Check www.bmwe34.net for most of your troubleshooting (inlcuding trans program code.
    I hope hubby realises that losing the E34 is not worth a divorce....

Good luck

Trevor,

I have looked there but to no avail.......heck the BMW is mine.....and divorce well....been there done that.......

I think I need a drink.....and I don't even drink.....

Seems the symptoms don't fit the troubleshooting board.

Quote Originally Posted by Saleswman525
    Javier,

I am just sick. We found spark to the plugs so that is ok. The car sat because it had a "trans code" and we were told it was the transmission. I bought if from a guy in Texas and had it shipped to Atlanta. I was prepared to figure out any tranny issue, but now I think it is more than that. It only has 100K on it and I thought it did not have anything other than the trans to worry about. But, I worry now that we have bought something more. From all the receipts with the car, it appears to be well taken care of. Hubby is an "american car" guy, but does know alot about cars....this is not making sense. If I have a cracked head or "ring" issues, it will be more than I can afford to fix.....I am just sick about it......I have always wanted a 525 and thought that this was going to be my own little red car....I dont know what to do but cry right now....sorry to be such a sissy.....but it seems when it rains it pours....

It was smoking from the tail pipe too, a little....not sure what that means.....either...

Any help would be appreciated.....

Shirley
    Hi Shirley,

sorry I can't figure out what's wrong with your car right now but you should give up for today. Get in your husband's car and drive over to Buckhead and go eat dinner at Bones! That's what I would do if I was an Altanta. I still remember the great dinners I has there.

Mark

Shirley,
    Know you are going through a tough spell...a couple of comments. You are in over your head. Don't think this board can help you based upon what you have written so far relative to the advice you have gleaned. Believe many of us could fix your car if we were there but don't think we can arm chair it for you on-line. The basic premise for using this forum for advice is you almost have to be a bit of a motor head to apply the advice and respectfully you are not. As to hubby knowing about "American cars"... Cars are cars. If you can fix an American car you sure can fix a 525i...they are pretty simple...same concepts apply. Again, please don't take this wrong, I just believe you may be wasting time if you want to get your car back on the road. If you are ernest about doing so, purchase a Bentley shop manual and start working through the troubleshooting sections...your best bet without a sense of urgency or dispair. As to your trans issue, which could be something as benign as a low battery, failing alternator, failing voltage regulator, corroded serial connector, failing trans computer, failing trans select switch or perhaps a mechanical malfunction within the trans....all these things need to be systematically exhausted/eliminated step by step. You probably don't have the resources to address either the engine or trans diagnostics therefore I suggest you have a heart to heart with hubby and take it to a mechanic.
    Please take this positively from a guy who knows a bit about these cars.
    Lastly, I would not dispair about your baby. A skilled mechanic should be able to get it up and running in no time and hopefully as minimal cost. If you can't afford to have an aging BMW worked on and you don't have the requiste skills to fix it, you probably did buy the wrong car and sure isn't worth upsetting your relationship with your s/o.
    Good Luck,
    George

Default For the stomp test

Make sure that you turn the ignition key to the second position, where the key is in position when the car is running. Do not turn the car on. Then, push the pedal all the way 5 time quickly, but not too quickly. At this time the check engine light should begin flashing.Don't forget that your car is fuel injected. It doesn't flood like 'ol american carburetors. You may smell the fuel b/c fuel is injected upon start-up, but it is not burned and gets pushed out the exhaust unburned.
    Brandon J

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast