GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 89 535i oil leak

Default 89 535i oil leak

I drive a 535i, 89 model with 140000 miles and for about two months I've been noticing an oil leak on the engine block. It's on the driver's side, below the intake and seems like coming from under the starter, I can not really locate the source, the view is blocked by the intake. Has anyone noticed something similar?
    I ran this by a specilized BMW repair show and one of the possibilities was a blown headgasket leaking oil to the exterior? Has anyone experineced that?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RAZR
    I drive a 535i, 89 model with 140000 miles and for about two months I've been noticing an oil leak on the engine block. It's on the driver's side, below the intake and seems like coming from under the starter, I can not really locate the source, the view is blocked by the intake. Has anyone noticed something similar?
    I ran this by a specilized BMW repair show and one of the possibilities was a blown headgasket leaking oil to the exterior? Has anyone experineced that?

Thanks
    Razr,
    PM BillB as he is helping me with a coolant leak as well as a small oil leak (not major, couple of drops here and there). He has a good idea of where mine is coming from so he might be able to help you.

Good Luck.

Michael
    Mustbr8kfree
    1995 525i, Shadowline,EAT chip, Alpine

Using the term "driver's side" around here is pretty pointless. There are lots of regulars from Oz, the UK, and even Japan where the "driver's side" is sort of different from that in some other places.

You should fill out your profile with car and location details if you expect to get good help. Most regulars have long since gotten tired of asking the same make/model/location/etc. questions over and over again to people who can't be bothered to spend a minute on their profile.

The #1 common oil leak on the M30 motor is the upper bolt that holds the crankshaft timing sensor bracket. It's on the front lower right side of the engine and is difficult to get to. Instead of a blind hole in the block, they made a through hole to the crankcase. The bolt loosens and there's your leak.

Quote Originally Posted by SRR2
    Using the term "driver's side" around here is pretty pointless. There are lots of regulars from Oz, the UK, and even Japan where the "driver's side" is sort of different from that in some other places.

You should fill out your profile with car and location details if you expect to get good help. Most regulars have long since gotten tired of asking the same make/model/location/etc. questions over and over again to people who can't be bothered to spend a minute on their profile.

The #1 common oil leak on the M30 motor is the upper bolt that holds the crankshaft timing sensor bracket. It's on the front lower right side of the engine and is difficult to get to. Instead of a blind hole in the block, they made a through hole to the crankcase. The bolt loosens and there's your leak.
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by SRR2

By front side you mean towards the firewall and right side the one where the starter is mounted? Just want to make sure we're on the same page.
    Thanks again!

Default No , he's referring to the opposite corner of the engine instead of what you're

thinking of. I gathered reading your post that it was a left hand drive car since you said the same side as the intake and starter and the starter and intake are on the same side regardless of lhd or rhd. But his point is good to provide info to people trying to help you. As was previously posted yours is on the drivers side near the firewall above the starter area. As was also posted before there aren't too many things in that area than can leak, The most common being the oil pressure sending unit at the back of the head on the drivers side US. Then there's a valve cover leak which is not very likely because it tends to leak on the exhaust side , then there's a head gasket, which could be, you'll have to raise it up and look under there better to see. That pretty much limits your choices..

By front side you mean towards the firewall and right side the one where the starter is mounted? Just want to make sure we're on the same page.
    Thanks again!

Default I checked the oil pressure sending unit and found no leaks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    thinking of. I gathered reading your post that it was a left hand drive car since you said the same side as the intake and starter and the starter and intake are on the same side regardless of lhd or rhd. But his point is good to provide info to people trying to help you. As was previously posted yours is on the drivers side near the firewall above the starter area. As was also posted before there aren't too many things in that area than can leak, The most common being the oil pressure sending unit at the back of the head on the drivers side US. Then there's a valve cover leak which is not very likely because it tends to leak on the exhaust side , then there's a head gasket, which could be, you'll have to raise it up and look under there better to see. That pretty much limits your choices..
    If it was the headgasket would the car run different?
    Thanks

Default Nope, not always. It depends on where the head gasket is

leaking and if its going internally to a combustion chamber or externally such as an oil galley leaking to the outside or if its crossing from a water passage to a oil galley or viceversa. It doesn't always show up in how the car performs. Thats why you really need to get the car raised up and use the mirrors lights etc to clean the block off and confirm exactly where its coming from... Its easy to jump to conclusions.

If it was the headgasket would the car run different?
    Thanks

Default If it turns out to be the headgasket, what exactly am I looking at as far as spending

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    leaking and if its going internally to a combustion chamber or externally such as an oil galley leaking to the outside or if its crossing from a water passage to a oil galley or viceversa. It doesn't always show up in how the car performs. Thats why you really need to get the car raised up and use the mirrors lights etc to clean the block off and confirm exactly where its coming from... Its easy to jump to conclusions.
    if I'd take it to a shop?
    If not what does it take to DIY?

Thanks

Default Zeuk and some of the others who have done this recently

are better able to give you an idea on costs and what the typical shop might charge you.

if I'd take it to a shop?
    If not what does it take to DIY?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast