GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Manual Tranny (535i-5speed) issues

Default Manual Tranny (535i-5speed) issues

well ... since my car is back on track, I want to fix an old issue came up 1 month before it started the latest problem. Yes it's an old car but I need to fix it.

the 5th speed kicks out when engaged. I have to equalize the throttle with a forced grip on the knob to to make it stay in then I can drive it on the high way.

do I need a rebuild? or is it something less complicated.

Thanks

My 535 popped out of 1st gear a few times before I renewed all the shifter consumables. The nylon(plastic?)shifter washers were replaced with the gearbox mounts, guibo, & the shifter lever itself, with a shorter z8 shifter.
    It hasn't occurred in the last couple years since.
    erased due to slander

Default I'm sorry GraveDigger77, but

you've been digging a grave for your car ever since you started touching it. The videos of gratuitous free revving off the rev limiter, overheating, putting the head back together with poorly adjusted timing, etc are not good. Is this a picture of your AFM?? You know it's upside down right??

I think you should keep your hands offa da tools and the car.....maybe even offa da steering wheel!

PS: Please go see my movie coming out in August:
    Talladega Nights

Quote Originally Posted by grave77
    well ... since my car is back on track, I want to fix an old issue came up 1 month before it started the latest problem. Yes it's an old car but I need to fix it.

the 5th speed kicks out when engaged. I have to equalize the throttle with a forced grip on the knob to to make it stay in then I can drive it on the high way.

do I need a rebuild? or is it something less complicated.

Thanks

adds flow man!
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyBobby
    Is this a picture of your AFM?? You know it's upside down right??
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

What are you talking about! Have you ever heard of AFM adjustment?

Quote Originally Posted by RickyBobby
    you've been digging a grave for your car ever since you started touching it. The videos of gratuitous free revving off the rev limiter, overheating, putting the head back together with poorly adjusted timing, etc are not good. Is this a picture of your AFM?? You know it's upside down right??

I think you should keep your hands offa da tools and the car.....maybe even offa da steering wheel![/URL]

loooool ... I think it should be designed this way. upside down makes the AFM heat more causing the spring to change elasticity

the AFM was upside down cuz it was in a mess and I had to tune it ... I replaed it and its back way it should be. Engine rus smooth now, still revving it up when i like to. the tranny was second hand and anything would happen ... every one in this place does his own repairing ... that doesn't mean that when it goes into trouble it was cuz of that.

and was it hard to keep it in? cuz when it gets in the place by equalizing the throttle it runs smooth. some workshops told me that I need a tranny rebuild ( washers and stuff ) if its true then I will get another tranny cuz it will cost the same.

Try replacing your tranny fluid. I had similar problems with my 5 speed 2 years ago, swapped out with new redline fluid and all has been well ever since.
    01 740i sport
    92 535i
    92 525 touring
    88 325ic