GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help guys, this is killing me.

Default Please help guys, this is killing me.

Howzit Guys,

I've had my car for about 3 - 4 Months now. Was given to me by my old man when I moved back to South Africa. Now, I love this car, it's just something about it that I love. And me being a very big BMW fan.

Well there are a few problems with this car, and it's really killing me at the moment, it's just sitting there, doing nothing.

The problem is lack of power.

I get in the car, turn the key and she turns but won't start, I need to do this three - 4 times to get her started.
    Once started she idels at around 900rpm. Seems smooth and quick, like it should be.
    Then while in park I give her some revs after she's warmed up and she sounds like a monster ready to go, love the sounds.
    So I put her into drive and go. This is the problem

She just has no power. On a stright road I'll be going along with my foot flat to the floor and she might get to 80 - 90Km/s she sruggels on hills as well. When going, she'l be slow and sluggish then she'll jerk a little give a kick and she'l pull, like it's meant to be then few seconds later she drops power and there's no power. Then a few seconds later she pulls does what its meant to do then drops again, exacly the same.

So I've taken the fuel pump in at the moment. Will get it back end of next week. It's having new seals being refirbish ect. Hoping this will fix the problem.

My question is what is causing this problem, and how do I go about finding out the problem. What parts/connections do I look and and where?

Please help with this, it's killing me a lot at the moment.

The other thing is; how do I get the engine codes to come up on the screen? I've tried the press the pedal 10 times, just does nothing..?

Please help guys, I would appericate it a lot!

Thank you.

sorry to hear....
    coils might be done. check tops of them to see if there are cracks or "foam " bursted out of them

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Howzit Guys,

I've had my car for about 3 - 4 Months now. Was given to me by my old man when I moved back to South Africa. Now, I love this car, it's just something about it that I love. And me being a very big BMW fan.

Well there are a few problems with this car, and it's really killing me at the moment, it's just sitting there, doing nothing.

The problem is lack of power.

I get in the car, turn the key and she turns but won't start, I need to do this three - 4 times to get her started.
    Once started she idels at around 900rpm. Seems smooth and quick, like it should be.
    Then while in park I give her some revs after she's warmed up and she sounds like a monster ready to go, love the sounds.
    So I put her into drive and go. This is the problem

She just has no power. On a stright road I'll be going along with my foot flat to the floor and she might get to 80 - 90Km/s she sruggels on hills as well. When going, she'l be slow and sluggish then she'll jerk a little give a kick and she'l pull, like it's meant to be then few seconds later she drops power and there's no power. Then a few seconds later she pulls does what its meant to do then drops again, exacly the same.

So I've taken the fuel pump in at the moment. Will get it back end of next week. It's having new seals being refirbish ect. Hoping this will fix the problem.

My question is what is causing this problem, and how do I go about finding out the problem. What parts/connections do I look and and where?

Please help with this, it's killing me a lot at the moment.

The other thing is; how do I get the engine codes to come up on the screen? I've tried the press the pedal 10 times, just does nothing..?

Please help guys, I would appericate it a lot!

Thank you.

your question is not answerable, too many variables. You need to isolate the problem first and then approach it from there, right now it could be LOTS of things.

First thing I would recommend is to at least change the fuel filters first, then check the ignition system, plugs, boots, coils.

Your car may not be able to display codes and you may need to get or take it to a shop that has a Peak code reader.

ps it's 5 times to the floor within 5 seconds of turning the key on.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

while it in the "lose power mode" is it revving like the trans is slipping,or is it going onto three or four cylinders???
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by DABLACK
    sorry to hear....
    coils might be done. check tops of them to see if there are cracks or "foam " bursted out of them
    Okay, where abouts do I look for the coils. Sorry I'm not 100% on BMW's.

Paul in NZ: No, it's like I've taken my foot off the gas and slowing down. But I still had my foot flat on it.

632 Regal: Aparrently my old man has already checked the fuel filters.

Thanks a lot for the help guys, appericate it.

Cat clogged?
    89 525, 86 jetta diesel, 07 wrx with mods, 06 commander
    1 mean wife, 2 daughters, 1 bull mastiff. At least the jetta
    is cheap to keep up.

Maybe, I'm willing to have a look at anything and try fix it to get it going.
    Is it hard to get to the Cat? under the car, right?

The official NC redneck cat test.
    Get the car up on ramps and unbolt the exhaust prior to the cat. If it revs up and pisses the neighbors off the cat is most likely okay.
    If it still bogs, check the ignition, fuel supply(pump and regulator), and the air filter.
    89 525, 86 jetta diesel, 07 wrx with mods, 06 commander
    1 mean wife, 2 daughters, 1 bull mastiff. At least the jetta
    is cheap to keep up.

Okay, will try that.

I've sent my fuel pump to be reconditiond new seals ect. Now how do I check the fuel filter and lines also how do I check the fuel injections, and where about are they?

Again, thanks so much for helping, I really appericate it.

Thanks,

Robert.

bentley required...
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast