GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: I feel stupid....HELP

Default I feel stupid....HELP

I just got a 1995 540i, love it, problem. I knocked the rear view mirrior off and have NO idea how to put it back up. I know the mirrior comes apart from the bracket part that I glue to the windshield. Oh crap I have no idea how to do it.

I think most folks here would be sympathetic to your plight. Mine came off while driving (don't ask) and I tried for a few moments to pop it back on. No chance. Even after stopping, it took a minute or two figure out the 'engineering'.

If memory serves, you have to rotate the mirror relative to the base as far as possible and push. It helps to swivel the mirror so you can rotate its base as far as possible without hitting the headliner. Make sense? I hope so. Welcome.

Give it a try,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Gale described it nicely:

The shop that replaced my windshield didn't remove the mirror from the old windshield button properly and it wobbled. I fixed it by inserting a "washer" cut out of paper gasket material. The mirror comes off by rotating the mount/stem 60 degrees in either direction. The metal button on the windshield is hexagonal with beveled edges, and the back pocket of the mirror has a triangle of 3 metal rods that have enough spring to capture it when rotated into position and release when rotated 60 degrees. If the mirror is pryed off without rotating, it will bend the rods and they won't hold it snugly.

gale