GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: m30 throtle on m20, is it possible

Default m30 throtle on m20, is it possible

Is it possible to adapt the m30, slightly larger, throttle to 525i with m20 engine? Has anyone done it to go in sync with the larger fuel injectors and AFM m20 to m30 swap? I know the rubber boot will go on if submerged in boiling water first.

Andrem5 Guest

Since I have M20 and M30 TB's in my garage parts bin I have also contemplated this.

Of course it's "possible." Do you want to do it because it is possible or because it is worth it?

The obvious problems don't relate to the boot diameters. Do you want to rig a reverse linkage for the E30 TB (they are upside down from each other)? The M30 does not mate to the M20 manifold at all so do you want to rig an adapter plate (changes plenum length) or radically modify the manifold?

Unless you have made very radical mods to your M20 the bigger TB gains, whether M30 swap or boring yours out, are trivial.

Thanks for reply,
    I replaced the injectors to 19lb and also did the m30 AFM swap. This is the reason for contemplating the large throtle to reduce the bottleneck.
    How hard to make an adapter, would you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrem5
    Since I have M20 and M30 TB's in my garage parts bin I have also contemplated this.

Of course it's "possible." Do you want to do it because it is possible or because it is worth it?

The obvious problems don't relate to the boot diameters. Do you want to rig a reverse linkage for the E30 TB (they are upside down from each other)? The M30 does not mate to the M20 manifold at all so do you want to rig an adapter plate (changes plenum length) or radically modify the manifold?

Unless you have made very radical mods to your M20 the bigger TB gains, whether M30 swap or boring yours out, are trivial.