GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Going to an Auto-X Saturday...Guess what I'll be driving?

Jr /// Guest

Default Going to an Auto-X Saturday...Guess what I'll be driving?

///M5?...Nope....318iS....Nope, Natalie's MB?....Nope...

It turns out a couple weeks ago my childrens orthodontist just bought a 2003 ///M3 convertible.....with SMG....

He calls me up out of the blue and says, "Hey I just bought a BMW, what do I need to know"

I'm thinking, well you need to know how to drive the damn thing, what kind is it?

It's an M3....

I crap my shorts

You what? You mean you traded in the Lexus?

Yeah, where can we take this thing to run it?

Steve, you're going to need a Drivers School and I don't think they'll let you run the 'vert without rollbars...

So I turn him on to the BMWCCA, he instantly becomes a member, searches for Driving Schools and signs up for Putnam Park.

But Steve, they aren't going to let you run it...

That's ok, I paid for you too!

But Steve, they won't let you....aw nevermind

So I look at our local schedule and see there's an Autocross this weekend.

Steve, I've got good news and bad news...

What's that?

The bad news is the President of the Hoosier Chapter e-mailed me and said, "You can't come"....the good news is you can do an Autocross with the convertible and there's one this weekend and tomorrow is the deadline...

Seconds later there's an e-mail confirming my attendence to an Autocross 120 miles away...

Steve's really a great guy, but he's afraid he's going through his second childhood....aren't we all, aren't we all...

He brought the new M over last Saturday and threw me the keys, "Let's go for a spin!"...

I can honestly say, I've never driven a more razor sharp precision automobile in my life! The power of the engine is alot like the ///M5's but that's where it ends...The SMG shifting is the ****, and the brakes are the best I've ever laid foot on.....This is one serious car!!! All I could say during the whole drive was "SWEET"...

So this Saturday we're taking it to the Autocross, Steve say's that's what he bought it for, I said, you're nuts...

I'll post some pictures of the event to share with the board. If I can remember how to load them....hell, I can't even remember my password..

Now what was I talking about???

Cheers,
    Jr

Default Hey, maybe I can keep my loaner 'til Monday and.....

....JOIN YOU GUYS in the 325i!

Sounds like fun Jr. The Auto-X isn't really speed, right? It's more like agility tests and cones and stops and stuff like that I think, right? Whatever, it sounds like a heck of a way to spend a Saturday. Didn't you all get snow this past week though?

Brian C.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

That's the kind of friend I like.

Just how many set of braces did you buy? Enough for an M3 of your own? Maybe he's feeling guilty!!
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

damn Jr...its been a while. I thought you got stuck under a snow drift in Chicago. Glad you finally checked in to be our "guest". Best story I have heard in a while...quite a car and quite a friend. Isn't it always the guy with more money than real appreciation for that kind of car that buys one?....lol. I have heard mixed reviews on SMG...most enthusiasts prefering a 5 or 6 speed manual. Will love to here your praise for the mighty new ///M car when you return.
    Gettin' close to spring at last,
    George

Brian, the snow came and went the same day....the weather here is like a roller coaster. It's supposed to rain tomorrow am and then clear off. The next time your car breaks down and they give you a loaner, go looking for the nearest auto-x...=)

Jeff, did you make a decision on those tires yet? Man, I love shopping for tires, I hate peeling out 6 bennies plus mounting and shipping though. Good luck with your decision, the Goodyears did have a good rating. Did you look at what BMW owners said in the review section at the rack?

And lastly, my friend George. You wouldn't believe the SMG, it's awesome. I know it would be a novelty item on a car, but I could see it being used in a serious manner. Like when you are tooling along in "automatic" mode of SMG, and decide to gun it, the transmission acts just like someone is shifting it, the engine spins up to match the revs while the trans downshifts and away you go.
    While in automatic mode, the shifting points are adjustable, it shifts exactly like you would. As if there was someone actually operating the clutch and shifter. Simply amazing... And when it's time to get serious, start playing with the paddles and it automatically changes over to "Paddle" mode, where you control the shifts. One of the highlights was the "Sport" mode...this gives the car racing throttle mode (1/4 throttle) and other things that just blew my mind as I was driving that caused me to repeat the word, Sweet...

Take care guys, I'll be sure and post some shots...
    Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///
    ///M5?...Nope Cheers,
    Jr
    Jr, why don't you pop that EAT chip the M5 and show tham what that M5 can do at the autocross?

Mark

You know Mark, I really gave it some thought. Just might pop that chip in tonight for the ride down tomorrow afterall. Everyone that knows me around here says, "Don't be autocrossin' that M5, it's too nice"..."Take the 318iS!!!"

Even Steve said not to run my M5, lets run the dogcrap outta that M3....=)

Since we're taking both cars, and running together, well.....you know. =)

By the way, would using the EAT chip be considered a Modification?? Answer: Only if you told them!

I asked one of the instructors about the SMG and getting into a spin, if the computer knew to put "Both feet in"...He said top speed on the track was about 65mph, close to highway speeds and that it shouldn't hurt it or turn the engine backwards, not like on a DE course where speeds would be in the 120's 130's and you spin...I for one, would need leather cleaner if I went spinning at 120mph...=)

Thanks Mark, think I'll go pop in the chip, BTW...which version would you like a report on??

Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    You know Mark, I really gave it some thought. Just might pop that chip in tonight for the ride down tomorrow afterall. Everyone that knows me around here says, "Don't be autocrossin' that M5, it's too nice"..."Take the 318iS!!!"

Even Steve said not to run my M5, lets run the dogcrap outta that M3....=)

Since we're taking both cars, and running together, well.....you know. =)

By the way, would using the EAT chip be considered a Modification?? Answer: Only if you told them!

I asked one of the instructors about the SMG and getting into a spin, if the computer knew to put "Both feet in"...He said top speed on the track was about 65mph, close to highway speeds and that it shouldn't hurt it or turn the engine backwards, not like on a DE course where speeds would be in the 120's 130's and you spin...I for one, would need leather cleaner if I went spinning at 120mph...=)

Thanks Mark, think I'll go pop in the chip, BTW...which version would you like a report on??

Jr
    Hi Jr,

put in the original version. I was not able to test the other (CA) version here as I didn't have an M5 available then. The CA version has a bit less timing, I made it for the funny gas they have there.

Mark

Ok Mark, I popped in the chip last night. Removed the Dinan that was in the car when I bought it. Guys have raved about how your chip transforms the M5 when replacing the Dinan chip. I'll let you know what it feels like, or if I can tell a difference. =)
    We'll need every edge we can get to keep up with a certain M3...=)

Thanks for the prompt, almost forgot to do it...

Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    Ok Mark, I popped in the chip last night. Removed the Dinan that was in the car when I bought it. Guys have raved about how your chip transforms the M5 when replacing the Dinan chip. I'll let you know what it feels like, or if I can tell a difference. =)
    We'll need every edge we can get to keep up with a certain M3...=)

Thanks for the prompt, almost forgot to do it...

Jr

Hi Jr,

I was going to send you a direct email last night but could not find your email address. Can you email it to me?

Thanks

Mark