GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: BB Triflow Exhaust

Default BB Triflow Exhaust

The project is moving along well until today...
    I purchased a BB Triflow catback system and now Im dealing with a big issue.
    I lined up all the piping and found that I had to make some minor changes to the piping on the outlet of the cat converter to accomodate a gap between the piping downstream - no problem with that. Today, everything goes in -not exactly. Let me just say that this "custom" exhaust isn't exactly custom.
    With the mid-resonator piping attached to the converter and the rear silencer piping attached to this piping (no bolts or sleeves are tight) is where the problem lies. The rear silencer sits too low and cannot get rubber rings to reach hangers and also is positioned too far back out of the bumper. If I push it up, the resonator pipes come very close to touching the driveshaft and rear trailing arm - not good. Overall, I can see what changes need to be done, pipe bending, etc.

This thing is supposed to be custom fit, bolt-on, and it isnt. Now it looks like Im going to have to pull more $$ out of my pocket to fix this.

Have any of you gents dealt with this problem?

Also, do you think Im entitled to refund from the dealer for exact costs of the changes I'll need to make for this to fit?
    Support your American Flag Merchant Marine
    No BMW at this time, eyeing a 91 318iS. 00 Saab 9-5, 89 Bronco XLT, 05 Kawi Z1k, 00 Ducati 748S Bip

Do they offer installation?? If they do and you elected to do it yourself, they probably are not going to do much of anything for you. If they don't, they probably still won't do much for you. Possibly offer to switch the same make and model part to see if it fits better.
    91 535iA M30 Auto
    Born in 3/91 (The Bimmer, not me )

120,000 Miles
    Pics soon--she is a work in progress

No, it was mail-order. No mention in the advertisment for "professional installation recommended", either
    No BMW at this time, eyeing a 91 318iS. 00 Saab 9-5, 89 Bronco XLT, 05 Kawi Z1k, 00 Ducati 748S Bip

Default That's weird...

...I had mine put on 3 years ago and all was fine. A little tight said the mechanic who I watched installed it but no major issues other than slightly bending a rear exhaust hanger to get the main portion away from the plastic of the bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe Diesel
    No, it was mail-order. No mention in the advertisment for "professional installation recommended", either

Default Ditto - mine's a clean bolt up.

...did your get bent during shipping perchance?

Quote Originally Posted by Black 535i
    ...I had mine put on 3 years ago and all was fine. A little tight said the mechanic who I watched installed it but no major issues other than slightly bending a rear exhaust hanger to get the main portion away from the plastic of the bumper.
    Last edited by Jeff N.; 03-15-2006 at 07:53 PM.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

So far...

took a break and let some steam off, this thing has me upset. anyhow, got back to it. Re-installed everything and noticed that because the car is raised at the chasis jacking point that the suspension is not under load, therefore, the trailing arm and halfshaft are drooping down and coming in contact with piping. So I placed my jack underneath the trailing arm and raised it a bit to a point where it would be with a load, so now it clears...but there is still interference. And just as I was able to get around this, the rear silencer bracket broke (very very rusty). Now I need to go about fixing this....tomorrow~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe Diesel
    So far...

took a break and let some steam off, this thing has me upset. anyhow, got back to it. Re-installed everything and noticed that because the car is raised at the chasis jacking point that the suspension is not under load, therefore, the trailing arm and halfshaft are drooping down and coming in contact with piping. So I placed my jack underneath the trailing arm and raised it a bit to a point where it would be with a load, so now it clears...but there is still interference. And just as I was able to get around this, the rear silencer bracket broke (very very rusty). Now I need to go about fixing this....tomorrow~~~

For what it is worth, B&B is supposed to have very high quality. I have an E34 M5 B&B on my car, and it fit up to my M50 motor with only slight modifications...

It was real tight, but I eventually got it in. Had to make custom hangers for the rear silencer. With all the work done so far, I couldn't have done it without the expertise on this forum and on Bruno's site. Project is now finished (for time being) - time to clean everything up!