GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant Temperature

Default Coolant Temperature

I have a 95 525i, and as I was driving home today, it said the coolant was low, and the temparature gauge hit red. I pulled over immediately and let it cool a little and drove home without it hitting red again.

Once home, I saw that the coolant had splattered all over. I filled up the coolant tank to the brim and made sure that I tighten the cap. I tried driving again. I can now go for 1/2 a mile only before the temp shoots to red. I checked to see if the coolant is splattering, it didnot.

Can you guys tell me what to do next?

Thanks in advance.
    -Praveen

First of all, it's not good to just "fill the tank to the brim." When you overfill the tank past its limit, your just taking out the ingrediants and addatives in the coolant that enable it to cool your engine. I had a similar problem with my car in the summer. About 2 times a month, I would go out to my car and there would be a massive pool of coolant on the ground. For some reason, it just drained all of the coolant out in about 3 hours. 2 months later, I figured out it was my waterpump going. Does your engine bay look like this?? This was the result of a broken water pump spewing coolant all over the fan, thus spraying it everywhere around the engine bay.

Sounds like a water pump.... when is the last time it was replaced?
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

Default 2 Years ago

Quote Originally Posted by dacoyote
    Sounds like a water pump.... when is the last time it was replaced?
    I bought this car two years ago, and it had a new pump then. I doubt its the waterpump, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the pics, and taking the time to answer. No my engine bay did not look like that. The coolant had leaked near the cap, and I thought may be the cap was loose, I didnot realize I should not fill it to the brim. What do you say I do now?

Thanks again,
    Praveen

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer525
    Thanks for the pics, and taking the time to answer. No my engine bay did not look like that. The coolant had leaked near the cap, and I thought may be the cap was loose, I didnot realize I should not fill it to the brim. What do you say I do now?

Thanks again,
    Praveen
    I'm not 100% sure, but don't you have to bleed the cooling system on all of the 6 cylinder models? (m20,m30,m50 engines) Maybe that's why your overheating, air in the coolant lines. Don't quote me for this, but it's one of my suggestions because you don't have to bleed the cooling sytem on M60 V8engines.

I think you are right, I need to bleed the system and eliminate the possibility of air in the lines. Bleeding the system would remove the air in the lines right?

Thanks

I think you are right, I need to bleed the system and eliminate the possibility of air in the lines. Bleeding the system would remove the air in the lines right?

Thanks
    Right, I think you have to do it multiple times to rid the system of all the air.

Thanks for the tip. I will do it first thing tomorrow and get back with the results.

I bought this car two years ago, and it had a new pump then. I doubt its the waterpump, but I could be wrong.
    Yeah... prop got an airbubble then... 2 years is a little short of a water pump... Did you check the and make sure the plastic part on the rad isn't broken?
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast