GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 95 525i auto Shifter problem

Default 95 525i auto Shifter problem

The accordian looking plastic slide at the bottom of the gear selector came out of its grove, got bent and now does not retract properly when placing the car in park.
    Is this part available and how hard is it to replace?
    Thanks

Umm... Im assuming youre talking about the protector that doesnt let crap to get in there. I took it completely off, stapled the broken pieces together and it worked fine since then.

-Artem

Yea, thats it...the dont let crap fall in there protector.
    How do you get at it?

Quote Originally Posted by ArtemLepilov
    Umm... Im assuming youre talking about the protector that doesnt let crap to get in there. I took it completely off, stapled the broken pieces together and it worked fine since then.

-Artem

Heh, I just replaced mine yesterday. I used the top guide on http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_13.htm . You can get a new cover at the dealer or online http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp. Do what the guide says says if you want to make it easier. I took a coat hanger, cut it bent it like he showed in the pictures and managed to get the panel out. Make sure you removed the gear shift handle before trying to lift it off (there is a screw in the front of your handle, that if its like mine, will require a 3mm allen wrench to remove). Then I removed (tore loose is a better description) the plastic piece. . Follow the guide and make sure to remove the little panel with the P-R-N-D-3-2-1 if your gear shift is lighted like mine. Once you get it, make sure you cut a notch for the gear shift light to move around (again only if yours is lighted. Then thread it in to one of the two circular drums. Then pull it out threading it through to the other drum. You can see the spots im describing in this picture. When its done, pop the panel back in and enjoy. http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/console3c.jpg

*Edit* Dont tear the panel off once it starts to pop off. There are wires hooked up to it that you could tear off if you arent careful. Some people remove them so that they can take the panel out of the car for this little procedure but I think its easier to leave it in the car hooked up.
    Last edited by NitrousO; 03-13-2006 at 09:31 PM.

I just pulled all of the pieces out and stapled them together... Once its all put together - just stick it in the any way you want it, as long as it moves freely.

-Artem

I did the same. Didn't have any real problem getting the panel out of the console. Then I just rolled up the flexible filler and slipped it into the drum underneath at one end and worked it thru its slot to the other end.

Since mine wasn't lighted it's no problem to just pull out on my lap and roll the new strip in. While I had it out I thought I'd convert to a lighted gear indicator, but that would take more parts than a light and a clear window so I put it back together as original unlighted.

I just ordered the part for 8 bucks, have great directions and will fix it properly.
    thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtemLepilov
    I just pulled all of the pieces out and stapled them together... Once its all put together - just stick it in the any way you want it, as long as it moves freely.

-Artem