GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much back pressure does my m30 engine need?

Default how much back pressure does my m30 engine need?

hi all! ive just bought a remus s/s exhaust for my bimmer but it looks like the boxes on the system are straight through, i was under the impression that engines needed a certain amount of back pressure to run properly! ive already removed the cat so do i need to refit my centre box or will the car be ok with this 'straight through' system? to clarify, my exhaust at present consists of straight through pipes to oem rearbox and the new system looks as if the boxes have no gas resistance at all! i still have the centre section in my shed. any comments will be appreciated.

bump

you dont need any backpressure as long as the O2 sensors are placed where needed, usually in US cars without cats it will read dirty and the DME cant compensate. Just a guess.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is straight through gives you improved top end at the expense of torque due to lowered back pressure. If this is a wives tell please let me know.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by wingman
    Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is straight through gives you improved top end at the expense of torque due to lowered back pressure. If this is a wives tell please let me know.
    Mostly true, but good exhasut systems are designed to provide the proper reverse-pulses for a good burn (and good power...). I'm pretty sure the Remus are of fairly decent quality and are not really just "straight through." The "box" is designed to resonate and exhaust the gases in a certain manner (otherwise they wouldn't bother putting it there...).

1995 540i 6-speed
    3.45 LSD, 17" Style 5's, AC Schnitzer Steering Wheel, Momo shift knob

How could the cats affect the O2 sensor if the sensor if before the cats?
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

i have heard that it is a wife's tail depends on what lengths of pipes you use on your headers, there is tons of stuff on the web about that, but i think in terms of exhausts that is what determines your power band. as you tune the lengths so that the shock waves from the supersonic closing of the valves reflect and arrive at the correct time to help with "scavenging" during the exhaust stroke or something like that, there is alot on intake tuning haven't seen too much detailed stuff on the principles behind exhaust manifold pipe lengths. But it is similar to setting the lengths of the intake runners (in that it uses the shock waves)
    Last edited by rob101; 03-13-2006 at 08:33 PM.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

it cant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    How could the cats affect the O2 sensor if the sensor if before the cats?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default I like Jeff's answer the best

The literature I've read suggests that the less back pressure the better. This is backed up by scientific study.

"Contrary to popular opinion, any exhaust back pressure harms performance. What increasing back pressure does do is dramatically quieten the exhaust."

Source

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    you dont need any backpressure as long as the O2 sensors are placed where needed, usually in US cars without cats it will read dirty and the DME cant compensate. Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    The literature
    Ah yes i have seen that book before, good book. I concur i also wonder, do people think it reduces low end torque simply because it doesn't choke the engine at high revs thus the peak torque occurs higher, yet low down torque remains constant but the written down "peak torque" occurs at a higher RPM? and if you look in the same paragraph it mentions the tuned lengths of the exhaust manifold, which for an NA engine is critical. and they will affect low down torque (compare for example 4-1 manifold vs 4-2-1 manifold for a 4-cylinder)
    Last edited by rob101; 03-14-2006 at 12:57 AM.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast