I have a 2001 530i (M54) with 120K miles. Car has the expected Oxygen sensor issue. I ordered the Bentley Manual, all 4 sensors and the low cost tool suggested from Bavarian Autosport . They said it would be easy... Actually the two pre-converter sensors look straight forward. The post-convert sensors apparently will be easy to replace, once I get the motor out of the car....

Have I screwed up here? While I have replaced the Disks and Pads on my 530 and my wife’s 323 without issues, (I though it was a nice Christmas present, but she did not seem very impressed...) pulling a motor is not something I could even consider. I can not even see the post converter sensors using a mirror. Could it be that I should approach them from under the car? Should I give up, return the parts and go to the better equipped BMW mechanic or even, gasp, the dealer (my credit is good so I will be able to re-mortgage the house). Or maybe I could just replace the pre-converter because they are the ones the cause the problems because they deal with slightly higher temperatures...

It is my intention to get about 200K miles on this car. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.