GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW throttle stuck and then crash at 130mph ??

Default BMW throttle stuck and then crash at 130mph ??

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...080205,00.html

Why did he not turn the engine off ?

Dave P

he said. “I couldn’t turn off the ignition because it would have disabled the power steering and made it even more dangerous.”

whatta ****ing dumbass, i've had several runaways on test drives and it's not a big deal turn off the engine without backing the key off so far that the steering locks, power steering is only really needed in a parking lot
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default His floormat probably got bunched up in there....

hahaha.....the brakes held the car to 70mph for a time being......even though he should have turned the key off, you'd think he would have crashed it at 70 instead of waiting for his brakes to wear out (I assume the pads, hoses, and fluid were smoldering) and have to crash it at 135.....

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    he said. “I couldn’t turn off the ignition because it would have disabled the power steering and made it even more dangerous.”

whatta ****ing dumbass, i've had several runaways on test drives and it's not a big deal turn off the engine without backing the key off so far that the steering locks, power steering is only really needed in a parking lot

maybe he was waiting for it to run out of gas?!
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Interesting story - me and my roommate were driving back from a junkyard he wanted some parts for his car - he had an old E30 325E.. And our throttle cable got stuck. To stop the car he stalled it... We just didnt think of turning the key of - I even asked him... maybe you should have just turned it off.. We had a good laugh. In any case - we didnt want to get a AAA to tow us, because he ran out of tows that year/month - something... So what we did was we rigged up a wire that we had out of nowhere... some sort of a heavy gauge amp wire and connected it to the throttlebody directly. Tried it out and it it was working as a throttle cable. So basically - we drove home with a manual throttle that was held by hand and a manual transmission. It was an interesting drive home...

-Artem

You can only hope that anyone this stupid keeps his genes to himself.

I didnt know a 318 could go 135. Why didnt the police tell him to turn the engine off? He said he will never drive again, thats probably a good thing
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

How could he not shift it into neutral? O_o

Default BMW comment on this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ixnewstop.html

Some news reports are saying 140mph. The police say in excess of 100mph.
    I heard one so called expert say that if the engine had been turned of he would have lost all steering !!!! uh.
    Dave P

probably too dumb/scared to remember to step on the brake to dissengauge the shift lock, i hate those ****ers when they screw up

Quote Originally Posted by Torque
    How could he not shift it into neutral? O_o

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast