GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How 'Generic' are Pilot Bearings?

Default How 'Generic' are Pilot Bearings?

I realized the shop that replaced the crankshaft in the M50 failed to swap the pilot bearing over. Now I'm in the midst of assembling/installing the
    engine and have hit a roadblock. No dealership or realiable import auto place nearby. However, there are industrial supply shops where I may be able to find the right sized bearing. Or, do manufacturers use a small assortment of sizes for pilots? Would I ba able to find a good quality bearing at VW or Volvo or elsewhere? I noticed that the clutch allignment tool has only a few bearing adaptors (inside diameters of course).

Anyhow, should I locate the proper size bearing (12x32x10) for use as a pilot bearing, or should I wait for the one supplied by BMA? Of course, I'd rather not wait as I have the time now to do the install (and the weater is frindly enough for a test drive)

Thanks again,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

as long as it's the right size it should work fine
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    as long as it's the right size it should work fine
    Well, couldn't find a parts department open so i hit up NAPA. They had a 'NAPA' (SKF) made in Argentina for $13, so I took it. Unless someone is opposed to SKF, it'll be spinnin around in there for the next 100k or so.

Thanks again Winfred

Dave M

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

all of the 4 and 6 cylinder bmw bearings i've seen have had the same outer diameter and theres two inner diameters for the pilot on the tranny, the larger of which comes on the later c motors

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    Well, couldn't find a parts department open so i hit up NAPA. They had a 'NAPA' (SKF) made in Argentina for $13, so I took it. Unless someone is opposed to SKF, it'll be spinnin around in there for the next 100k or so.

Thanks again Winfred

Dave M
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I belive SKF is one of the main bearing suppliers for BMW. I've never heard of SKF made in argentina but they do have plants all over the world. The majority of their bearings are made in Germany. SKF is considered by a lot of people to be the best bearing manufacturer in the world. My previous job was selling bearings and SKF was one of the more popular brands we sold.

Yep, its the 12mm inner diameter. In 11/90 they switched to 15mm inner. I'm on my way out to pop in the clutch, drop the engine in and bolt the tranny in.

I now have more faith in the SKF bearing, thanks Shanek

Wish me luck,

Dave M

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Default Yeah, SKF and FAG are the primary suppliers....

of gears and bearings......

I hear Brandon (bimmerd00d) prefers FAGs, but I like SKF myself....

Quote Originally Posted by shanek
    I belive SKF is one of the main bearing suppliers for BMW. I've never heard of SKF made in argentina but they do have plants all over the world. The majority of their bearings are made in Germany. SKF is considered by a lot of people to be the best bearing manufacturer in the world. My previous job was selling bearings and SKF was one of the more popular brands we sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    of gears and bearings......

I hear Brandon (bimmerd00d) prefers FAGs, but I like SKF myself....
    Hahaha.

Yes, I prefer to use SKFs, as well.

Dave -- did the crank have an unsealed bearing? I think BMW started using sealed pilot bearings in the late '90s. The SKF should be sealed, regardless, but it's always worth confirming. ETK still lists the unsealed ones, from what I remember.

best, whit

yea with that felt disc and cover thats such fun to get out without screwing up

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    ETK still lists the unsealed ones, from what I remember.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Hahaha.

Yes, I prefer to use SKFs, as well.

Dave -- did the crank have an unsealed bearing? I think BMW started using sealed pilot bearings in the late '90s. The SKF should be sealed, regardless, but it's always worth confirming. ETK still lists the unsealed ones, from what I remember.

best, whit
    Not sure how long it was in there, but it was sealed. Of course, the shop has it so I don't have one to compare for sizing.

This might make you laugh. I get the 12mm inside diameter pilot home (etk states 12mm) and press it into the crankshaft (without first sliding it over the tranny input shaft). I get under it, try sliding the tranny on and find myself at a loss. As hard as I might, the f'in thing won't slide on all the way. Hmm, could it be I'm raming a big circle into a littler hole?

So i figure murphy's law or something to that effect is at work here. I will go grab a 15mm pilot tomorrow and see if its the right one. If so, I get to F'uk around a bit longer before its road worthy.

Dave M

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast