GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Ginger?...

Default RIP Ginger?...

Deer 1...Ginger 0. Well, okay, maybe Ginger got half a point.

My wife got blindsided from the left this morning about 9:30 by a deer. He was the lead, and there were two more behind him, according to the guy that was driving behind my wife who stopped to see if he could help after all was said and done. At first glance, it's just the door. But...the sill under the door got it too. Not sure how big this deer was, or where exactly center mass hit, but it used up this door. Amazingly, no airbag deployment, and no broken glass (aside from the mirror, which I never knew was heated until I saw the lens dangling from the car...huh!)

Rigmaster's got a line on a door for me, but the frame scares me. I'd total it if I were the man, but miracles can be done on these jokers. Any opinions? I welcome thoughts about the likelihood that this is fixable.

On a happier note, while all this was going on, Web and I were on our way to the Ultimate Drive, where we sampled the 550i, 325xiT, and 530xiT. Check out the odometer on the 550i...

Bill B.
    95 525i

Ask a bodyshop if they can fix it
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

I willing to bet thats repairable. Its only money.

Glad Lainey is ok...that's THE important thing here. A good bodyman can and probably will fix the door without replacing it. How's the original paint job? They are going to have to blend the color into the adjacent panels so it will match. It would be a good time to take care of those pesky rock chips on the bumper cover and hood?

Your comprehensive coverage will take care of the damage with only the deductible to be met. That can be good or bad, depending on the deductible amount you carry. Get some estimates so you won't be in the dark. My guess is $960-$1200 should do it just fine.

Expect to get your official "I HATE BAMBI" bumper sticker soon...

Lainey's guardian was on the ball....and that's a good thing!

I feel like I know Ginger from when you were thinking about selling her. It is as if a friend has a broken arm. Wish her a speedy recovery.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Default The beauty is that Bret has a '95 oxfordgrun door...

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    Glad Lainey is ok...that's THE important thing here. A good bodyman can and probably will fix the door without replacing it. How's the original paint job? They are going to have to blend the color into the adjacent panels so it will match. It would be a good time to take care of those pesky rock chips on the bumper cover and hood?

Your comprehensive coverage will take care of the damage with only the deductible to be met. That can be good or bad, depending on the deductible amount you carry. Get some estimates so you won't be in the dark. My guess is $960-$1200 should do it just fine.

Expect to get your official "I HATE BAMBI" bumper sticker soon...

Lainey's guardian was on the ball....and that's a good thing!
    ...so it should match pretty well. The door looks to be toast. I wouldn't try to fix it. We haven't attempted to roll down the window, nor will I try.

And yes, her guardian was definitely on the ball. This could've been a really nasty hit that could have hurt her. The car did its job. The door was used up in the collision. I'm okay with that. That my wife reacted very well after all our discussions about how to handle the unexpected on the road speaks well of her driving skills too. She could have easily yanked on the wheel and spun out, taking others with her. Fortunately, she calmly braked and came to a safe stop, turned on her hazards, and collected her thoughts before proceeding. I'm very proud, and happy she's not injured.

And as duby55 said, it's only money. (But this is the first accident with this car in 135k miles...and it is sad ).
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Bill I doubt there is any frame damage at all, looks like all they will need to do is repair the rocker panel. As long as you dont have to have the door paint matched ill bet that little repair will be under $300
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Yeah.... thats not a big deal... prop didn't even mess up the frame...
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

A good body shop could probably fix the door, but it might be eaisier and better to get a new door and paint it to match.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Meh, that's nothing.

I would not touch the rocker- just replace the door and be done with it, unless whatever you've been eating this week makes you crap $100 bills. I doubt a bodyshop would even feel the need to put that thing up and check to see if the unibody is straight. It's just the outer skin of the rocker from the looks of it.

Glad Lainey is OK- it's only a car afterall!!!

Bret.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast