GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update

Default Update

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ceasarco
    Mystery solved, my BMW dealer tells me that my 540i is a rare model with M5factory installed upgraded braking system. They are ordering the pads for me. I almost fell of the couch when they told me the price, $364.00 for the set. I'll post some pics after I pick it up. Thanks to everyone for all the input.

Finally got my car back yesterday. Turns out the $364.00 was for front pads only, rears were $116.00. My mechanic test drove the car after the brakes were finished and told me that the front lower control arms (both sides also needed replacing). Back to the BMW dealer ,they tell me, M5 suspension $444.00 for the left and $395.00 for the right, plus stabilizer links also. By now Im thinking second mortgage.
    Did some research and located a supplier in Connecticut, gave him the part numbers and he calls me back and says he has the parts $402.00 total, shipping included. Wow finally something that didn't cost my first born.
    Got the car back yesterday and hit the highway, what a dream ride.
    Woke up this morning and went to get coffee and noticed the asc light came on and wouldn't go off. Started the car and the light was still on and no power to the engine. Shut off the car and restarted ( the light was off when restarting) drove home and shut it off. When I turned the key to start the car the asc light was on and the engine has no power. If its off when starting runs normally. I have researched this morning on this board and googled but no definative answer. I think the asc (abs) automaticaly cuts power to the wheels when this light in on. Brake senser or abs module???
    Hope its an easy fix.
    Here is a pic of the mystery 540i. Needs a wash I know, been garaged since November.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ceasarco; 03-11-2006 at 07:59 AM.

Dude, buy all your parts from BMA like most of the other board members here. The lower control arms are common across the entire e34 range, part numbers • 31121139991/992 at usd $78.00 each for OEM. Stabliser links are maybe usd$30 each.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    Dude, buy all your parts from BMA like most of the other board members here. The lower control arms are common across the entire e34 range, part numbers • 31121139991/992 at usd $78.00 each for OEM. Stabliser links are maybe usd$30 each.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I wish those were my part numbers. The part #'s on the my control arm are 1138478 and 1138477. $170.00 ea. $12.95 per stabilizer link from aftermarket supplier. Couldn't find abetter price anywhere.

Like I said before, all e34 arms are interchangabe. The arms you have are not off an e34, but off an e31!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...31&fg=05&hl=12 - Part number 9.

They are around us$160 from bma. They are aluminimum and have a spherical bearing instead of a rubber bushing. However you could have just gone with the cheaper arms like I gave you a part number for and you would probably not notice any difference. I talked about this recently on here, I was curious about the arms you just installed.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...r+control+arms

Anyway, good luck with it

The ASC light -- check the wheel speed pickups. You might have dislodged one while working on the suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    Like I said before, all e34 arms are interchangabe. The arms you have are not off an e34, but off an e31!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...31&fg=05&hl=12 - Part number 9.

They are around us$160 from bma. They are aluminimum and have a spherical bearing instead of a rubber bushing. However you could have just gone with the cheaper arms like I gave you a part number for and you would probably not notice any difference. I talked about this recently on here, I was curious about the arms you just installed.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...r+control+arms

Anyway, good luck with it
    Thanks for the info. They are already installed but I'll remember for the next time.
    If you have any info on the asc light problem Iwould appeciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by SRR2
    The ASC light -- check the wheel speed pickups. You might have dislodged one while working on the suspension.
    Thanks,
    I have no idea where they are located. I guess its time for a repair manual.

get the Bently repair manual available here:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...432791-9371216
    most people on here visit because they work on their own cars but hey if you have the cash to throw, more power to you.

I agree with kriss to check the magnetic pickups on the back side if the front hubs.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    get the Bently repair manual available here:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...432791-9371216
    most people on here visit because they work on their own cars but hey if you have the cash to throw, more power to you.

I agree with kriss to check the magnetic pickups on the back side if the front hubs.
    Thanks, just ordered it. No, I don't have big coin, I used to do all my own mechanical repairs but now that I'm a wee bit older my ability to crawl under a car can be a little difficult.
    Would the asc light being on during and after startup cause the low power problem?

what low power problem? I didnt see you write about that.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast